Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Need help picking first year Computer Science courses at York University
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
TacticalKnife

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:39 am   Post subject: Need help picking first year Computer Science courses at York University

The advisor recommended the below courses for my first year.

CSE 1001 - Fall
CSE 1019 - Fall
MATH 1013 - Fall
CSE 1020 - Winter
CSE 1030 - Winter
MATH 1014 - Winter
CHEM or EATS - Fall or winter

I noticed that, CSE 1020 is Introduction to Computer Science I and CSE 1030 is Introduction to Computer Science II. So, if I take both of these courses at the same semester, am I gonna have trouble? Considering I don't have any prior knowledge about programming. What do you recommend?!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:51 am   Post subject: RE:Need help picking first year Computer Science courses at York University

You should check the pre-requisite requirements. If you are allowed to take 1020 and 1030 at the same time, it could be ok...

Also, if 1020 is the first Introduction... then what's 1001 and 1019?
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
TacticalKnife

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:25 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Need help picking first year Computer Science courses at York University

Tony @ Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:51 am wrote:
You should check the pre-requisite requirements. If you are allowed to take 1020 and 1030 at the same time, it could be ok...

Oh okay, don't want to mess things up and also, do you know what type of degree is "BSC HO COSC"?! Is it similar to that of BSC computer Science?!

Tony @ Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:51 am wrote:

Also, if 1020 is the first Introduction... then what's 1001 and 1019?

They were also the prerequisite courses.

SC/CSE 1001 1.00 Research Directions in Computing
SC/CSE 1019 3.00 Discrete Mathematics for Computer Science
jrcdude

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:04 am   Post subject: RE:Need help picking first year Computer Science courses at York University

BSC HO COSC is a Honours Bachelors of Science in Computer Science.

I think the only real difference is that most universities do not have a separate faculty for math, so computer science gets placed under the science faculty, thus making it a science degree not a math degree.

In reality though, I'm pretty sure it makes no difference to get a job.
Homer_simpson

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:25 pm   Post subject: Re: Need help picking first year Computer Science courses at York University

at YorkU the difference between honors bachelor and just a BSc is 30 credits which is equal to one extra year.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 5 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: