Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Choosing a Graphics Library
Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
crossley7

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:04 pm   Post subject: Choosing a Graphics Library

I'm planning on making a game in c++ (not decide what yet, will likely make something up) and am trying to pick a good graphics library to use.

I already know SDL to an extent but it is a huge pain and I would rather avoid it if I can. I have already done 1 huge project with it and it is functional, but there has to be a better one out there.

I'm looking for a graphics library that is easy to learn, efficient, and has a large range of functionality.

A friend already suggested Allegro or QT, but wondering if there is a better one out there or which of those 2 is superior. It would be for a 2D abstract strategy game so fps issues aren't particularly an issue.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
mirhagk

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:01 pm   Post subject: RE:Choosing a Graphics Library

If your not dead set on C++, I'd suggest XNA, it's for C# (the differences being trivial, other than what happens behind the scenes)

XNA is used to make Xbox indie games, and this means your project could be released for Xbox 360, or for computer. (Sadly it's not cross platform, that may or may not be a deal breaker). XNA is arguably the easiest graphics library to use, allowing you to create amazing games with little effort, but also allowing you amazing control over anything you want.
crossley7

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:05 pm   Post subject: RE:Choosing a Graphics Library

I would rather not have to learn C# is I can avoid it, otherwise I would probably use a different language that maybe is better suited for graphics. Depending on the differences in the languages, I may learn it and use it for this 1 project, as being more versatile is better, but also takes a lot more time.
   Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 3 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: