Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 console homebrew
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
whoareyou

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:50 pm   Post subject: console homebrew

So from what I've read online, homebrew is legal, so I guess it'd be ok to ask a few questions.

I think that its very interesting that programmers can create programs to run on the gaming consoles, but (in general) how do they do it? I mean, could you just use like any programming language like Java to create a program and the run in on the console? And how exactly do programmers get their programs to "run" on the console?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:14 pm   Post subject: RE:console homebrew

I have no direct experience with consoles themselves, but I have related experience with running programs on discrete hardware (meaning I work for a company that makes computer-on-a-board products, which run their own O/S).

Generally, programs are written in a single language specified by the manufacturer; this is usually C or C++. Almost nobody uses Java in these circumstances, though I have heard of at least one device that simulates a JVM at the hardware level and can therefore execute JVM opcodes like an Intel CPU executes x86_64 opcodes.

Usually, the manufacturer supplies a piece of software called a "simulator" or "emulator" that will behave exactly like the target device, which is useful for debugging without needing the physical hardware. Generally, it won't perform well enough for all development purposes, but it's enough for most of the work.

To get the program onto the device, the vendor supplies a program that you run on your computer that talks to the device across a USB cable or parallel cable or whatever. This program can tell the device to load your program (once compiled) and run it.

In the case of consoles, they then add a lot of DRM, shove the program + resources onto a DVD, and sell that.

Edit: Usually, with consoles, the developer uses a special "developer" version of the console that is unlocked (and potentially has additional hardware) to support loading programs this way, as well as debugging and development. These are known as "developer kits", and will easily run you in the thousands of dollars.
Tony

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:57 pm   Post subject: RE:console homebrew

consoles are essentially just well packaged PCs. Xbox 360, for example, runs on a Xenon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenon_(processor) wrote:

Xenon is a CPU that is used in the Xbox 360 game console. The processor ... is based on IBM's PowerPC instruction set architecture

PowerPCs used to power Apple computers, before they switched over to Intel (supposedly because IBM decided that designing chips for consoles was a more lucrative market).

There's a bunch of DRM thrown on top for a variety of reasons, such as to fight piracy and because consoles are usually sold below cost.

While jailbreaking phones was determined to be legal, since SCEA v. Hotz was settled out of court, it remains to be seen if jailbreaking consoles will ever enjoy the same benefits.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
whoareyou

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:54 pm   Post subject: RE:console homebrew

Wait so, jailbreaking the iphone is legal, but hacking the xbox 360 and the ps3 and wii is illegal ? :O
Tony

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:26 pm   Post subject: RE:console homebrew

Yeah, that's how the law goes. Hilariously more, you can jailbreak an iPhone, but not an iPad.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/07/feds-ok-iphone-jailbreaking/ wrote:

Monday?s decision, (.pdf) which applies to all mobile smart phones and not the iPad, does not require Apple or other handset makers to allow jailbreaking. Instead, it makes it lawful to circumvent controls designed to block jailbreaking.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:15 pm   Post subject: RE:console homebrew

If you know C# you can run XNA code on the console, in a limited environment, which could then be sold on the indie marketplace. Doesn't give you full control (the program can still do all the same stuff, except internet and file managing are handled by the OS, for obvious reasons).

You will need a XNA membership, but an academic one (can make games, but not sell) is provided free of charge on dreamspark.

As for the PS3, I don't know how you'd do that without a dev kit, and apparently even with one it's difficult to program (many game engine manufacturers have a slogan "if we can get it to run on PS3, it'll run on anything")
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 6 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: