Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 CompSci.ca Minecraft Server
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Would you use a CompSci.ca Minecraft Server?
(No ending time set)
Yes
53%
 53%  [ 23 ]
Have minecraft but would not use.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Don't have minecraft but would use if i did.
23%
 23%  [ 10 ]
Don't have minecraft and will never get it/would never use server.
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Don't Know
16%
 16%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 43

mirhagk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:58 pm   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.6.6)

Oh of course, but if a series came out with a game called Scrolls, and then a sequel called Elder Scrolls, it wouldn't sound out of place would it? That's their point.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
ProgrammingFun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:08 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.6.6)

mirhagk @ Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:58 pm wrote:
Oh of course, but if a series came out with a game called Scrolls, and then a sequel called Elder Scrolls, it wouldn't sound out of place would it? That's their point.
OK, you win Laughing , I was primarily trolling...
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:05 pm   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.6.6)

Is any one still interested in the event planed for tomrow at 8pm? Have not seen any one on the server in a bit.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Raknarg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:39 am   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.6.6)

Still a bit confused: Can anyone explain how to get into this server?
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:01 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.6.6)

Raknarg @ 10th September 2011, 10:39 am wrote:
Still a bit confused: Can anyone explain how to get into this server?

Not sure what you mean, you type the address in and hit connect.

Are you getting some kind of error? minecraft.net was down for a bit today.

Edit: Looks like minecraft.net is having alot of problems, causing the auth server to not function for most requests. If it stays like this the event will have to be rescheduled (which maybe a good thing as most peoleop seem busy lately anyway).
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
ProgrammingFun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:55 pm   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.6.6)

I tried connecting with 1.8 pre-release but got the outdated server message.
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:57 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.6.6)

ProgrammingFun @ 10th September 2011, 5:55 pm wrote:
I tried connecting with 1.8 pre-release but got the outdated server message.

You used an unsupported leaked pre-release 1.8 version on a 1.7.3 server....

I will be on at 8PM EST, if any one is online we can do the event.
Zren

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:01 pm   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.6.6)

That's if anyone can get past waiting forever to login thanks to all the people playing 1.8
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:02 pm   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.6.6)

Looks like the minecraft.net auth server is still down or at least rejecting most requests so we will have to reschedule the event.

I recomened waiting for the offical 1.8 release and bukkit update as it may add a few more things that could come into play during the event.
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:40 pm   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.6.6)

Just a reminder, when the 1.8 update comes out the server will still be running 1.7.3 untill a stable bukkit release and set of plugins are available. If you update you will be unable to connect to the server.

If you want to try out 1.8 right away, i recomened making a 2nd install of minecraft and keeping both versions useable.

Edit: It will also take some time to find a way to merge the old map with the new map generation system.
S_Grimm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:00 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.6.6)

Dan @ Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:40 pm wrote:

Edit: It will also take some time to find a way to merge the old map with the new map generation system.

Actually, it shouldn't be.
Quote:
My world is gonna be lost in 1.8!11!

Incorrect! With Notch's clarification, ALL features of 1.8 can exist, in newly generated chunks in old worlds. Understand though... the terrain changes may cause new chunks to generate in RADICALLY different ways then your current generated land. A flat plains beside new chunks may run into a 128 tall wall of stone from a mountain biome, making for a hideous sight. But everything from 1.8, should work in prior maps... for now.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/582239-release-dates-18-faq-all-known-content-and-more/

I remember thinking that I'd lose everything on my server when 1.8 came so I was more or less lurking the MC forums waiting for a post to clarify this.
Hope that you guys don't lose anything when 1.8 rolls around.
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:11 am   Post subject: Re: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.6.6)

AV @ 11th September 2011, 11:00 pm wrote:

Actually, it shouldn't be.

The "terrain changes may cause new chunks to generate in RADICALLY different ways then your current generated land" part is what may take time to fix. Unless no one cares about some randomness around the border of the old terrain and the new. Was never worried about losing anything, just having to spend some time in a map editor smoothing it out.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:44 pm   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.6.6)

Yeah it's kinda awkward about what we should do. Possibly we could uncover a lot of land around it, and then export the CSCity world as a different world, not being the main one. We can then have a 1.8 version map that's the main one or something.

So 1.8 is awesome. I haven't seen endermen, but I think doing that battle thing, but with them included would be awesome, since they can move apart the structure, allowing creepers to see things, and blow huge holes for other mobs to get through.

I think notch should do a PvP version (or someone make a mod), but like L4D style where one side is mobs, the other side is normal characters. Would be awesome I think.
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:36 am   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.8.1)

The server should now be back online and updated to 1.8.1.

I did some work on the map and merged it with the new world so nothing should have been lost.

maps.cs1.ca is also upgraded and online.

A new world, the Badlands, has been added and can be accessed via any stargate.

/xp will now show you your level and experience.

Added some new plugins so boats will not break into small parts and pumpkin helmets will allow you to breathe underwater longer.

The chat is now linked up with the IRC channel #cs1.ca on afternet.org so you can chat with players via IRC outside of the game.

Things are still a bit buggy as i had to rewrite some of the plugins manualy to get them to run on 1.8. Let me know if you hit any big bugs.
Monkeyguy5000

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:54 pm   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.8.1)

After seeing the new spawn world and exploring it, a lot of ideas popped into my mind.

Currently, we have a decent world right now, which has its pros and cons, like anything. Some great things I find that Dan has tried to incorporate is the greatness of the server, when it comes to amazing buildings and projects the server has produced. These include: Leo's Port Royal Station, The Newbie Institution, and the outdoor fire pit. Another thing is the use of tutorials and the like showing how to utilize features such as teleporters and the residence mod.

However, it's rather intimating. I find that the use of tall iron walls and flooring doesn't represent the adventures that await a newcomer. A world pull of hills of dirt and that large mountain is something that calls you, much like when we run around on the server. I also think that we can expand the showcasing of greatness and better provide information to newcomers.

My idea is to start a world normally with it's sprawling landscape. From there, we can have the user start in the port entrance of Death Valley. This would be edited to remove the teleporter, but would start the player off in an unknown land, which welcomes them and gives them a basic introduction. The player would then explore, but have known to them that the city is up ahead. The city itself would contain different aspects of the server. Showcased in this city are:
- Port Royal Fountains
- Terrance's Mountain-side base
- Central Station (can be finished here with Creative Mode)
- Port Royal Docks
- Port Royal Station
- Port Royal Store Room
- Greenhouse (similar to the one from Port Royal
- Market plaza in the centre
- Original CS City buildings (for history)
- The Newbie Institution
- and other selected buildings
Just taking what we already have and building newer buildings to explain things or offer a city-like feel can be built easily. A warehouse can be built to show the resident mod as well.

In the end, however, the user must enter the city catacombs and take the challenge with the knowledge they've learnt from the city.

Just a collaboration of what I was thinking of.
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 6 of 9  [ 130 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: