Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Firefox 4, Hate it or Love it?
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Hate it or Love it
(No ending time set)
Hate >:G
50%
 50%  [ 10 ]
Love it <3
50%
 50%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 20

ecookman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:59 pm   Post subject: Firefox 4, Hate it or Love it?

Ive been using it for a few hours and I'm quite fond of it, I'm liking the GUI and it appears to be a bit faster.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
ProgrammingFun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:17 pm   Post subject: RE:Firefox 4, Hate it or Love it?

I like it too....but did you notice how most of the tests on IE Test Drive don't work on it? Perhaps that site is rigged...
Zren

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:50 pm   Post subject: RE:Firefox 4, Hate it or Love it?

I despise the wasted space where the title bar is. Ever since I stated using chrome, and before that even, making the top section as small as possible has been a key choice what I did to the GUI. Seriously, what's so hard about moving the tabs to be beside the orange button. I know you need to have the option to move the tabs below, but when it's on top...

There's a hack for it [http://davidnaylor.org/blog/2010/08/move-tabs-to-titlebar-in-firefox-4/] but it really should be default.

The new menus are very stylish by the way. The firefox button menu is actutally very Windowsy. o.O I'm still trying to decide if that's a good thing, as the design isn't very seemless.

Design wise, I actually liked IE9 better. o.O

Still, I'd need to force myself to stop using Chrome to fully test out the new fox.
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:57 pm   Post subject: RE:Firefox 4, Hate it or Love it?

Zren: I have my tabs next to the Firefox button by default (Windows 7 x64 / Ubuntu 10.10). Not sure what you're talking about.
Zren

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:20 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Firefox 4, Hate it or Love it?

DemonWasp @ Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:57 pm wrote:
Zren: I have my tabs next to the Firefox button by default (Windows 7 x64 / Ubuntu 10.10). Not sure what you're talking about.

Nevermind, turns out Beta 8 wasn't the latest (I installed it a bit ago). I didn't re-download because on the download site it shows the non-maximized mode where the menu button is on top so I didn't bother. Well that's one ranting gone to the wind.
Insectoid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:28 pm   Post subject: RE:Firefox 4, Hate it or Love it?

Chrome. 'nuff said.
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:41 pm   Post subject: RE:Firefox 4, Hate it or Love it?

I am a big Firefox fan but I hate the new UI in FF4. By default it trys to be to minimalist and chrome like. I like things like the file menu, having tabs under the address bar and having a status bar.

However what i do like is how cusmtizable the UI is. I was able to fix all theses issues with out any kind of patch, plugin or extension and have it layed out just the way i like.

Other than the UI i have not noticed many changes. I wish they would put more time into performance issues then copying chrome.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:26 pm   Post subject: RE:Firefox 4, Hate it or Love it?

Try smooth-scrolling in the new Firefox. Much better than Chrome ever has been. Plus, it's AdBlock actually works.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
SNIPERDUDE

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:51 pm   Post subject: RE:Firefox 4, Hate it or Love it?

I've been using Chrome for a while now, Firefox collecting dust on the desktop.

Anyone want to quickly outline the changes since I last used Firefox (3.something, 3.5 I think)?
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:58 am   Post subject: RE:Firefox 4, Hate it or Love it?

The big ones for me were:
- Smoother scrolling (if you middle-click and then move the cursor, the page will scroll...smoothly in Firefox, but quite choppily in other browsers.
- Faster startup and rendering. They're not game-changing boosts, but they're quite nice.
- Tabs in taskbar = more vertical space; I like this, but as others have mentioned it's completely configurable.
- Application tabs (right-click gmail, pin as app tab).
- All sorts of fun new web standards.
- Overall, much more responsive UI and feel.

The things that drove me from Chrome to Firefox include:
- AdBlock that works.
- Smoother animations in general.
- More predictable error behaviour (at least, in my opinion).
- Found a really annoying bug in Chrome that affects copy-pasting code from its PDF view.
Amailer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:19 pm   Post subject: RE:Firefox 4, Hate it or Love it?

I find that the font rendering in Firefox 4 is a bit blurry.

I don't love it or hate it, meh for me. Sticking with chrome for now.
DtY

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:31 pm   Post subject: RE:Firefox 4, Hate it or Love it?

Just upgraded, and my first thought was Greasemonkey and searchbar autosizer are not compatible. But, that's to be expected. The incompatibility that bothers me is that the Canadian English dictionary is incompatible. How did they manage to make the dictionary incompatible? My US English and French dictionaries are still good. If the only problem is metadata on it, why has it not been updated?
SNIPERDUDE

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:01 pm   Post subject: RE:Firefox 4, Hate it or Love it?

Sounds alright - not really anything to make me switch back, but I'll end up using Firefox a little more than I do. This time start fresh, and sync it with my Chrome (Xmarks and Lastpass).
BigBear

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:17 pm   Post subject: RE:Firefox 4, Hate it or Love it?

I do not like how highlighting in Chrome and Safari an others? is boxy

I do not like tab on the top because I click to change window and I change tabs. tabs are also closer to the webpage don't want to pass everything like location bar etc to get to tabs

I also have menu toolbar hidden. I like how chrome has grease monkey built in.

I do not like how firefox hasn't changed things like adding recently closed tabs to history side bar and allow you to browse bookmarks from bookmark toolbar

Also the font is too small? and one crtl + is too big

I will get used to it I guess
DtY

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:28 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Firefox 4, Hate it or Love it?

BigBear @ Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:17 pm wrote:
Also the font is too small? and one crtl + is too big
You can always change the font size in Preferences>Content
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 6  [ 89 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: