Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Ruby Graphics:
Index -> Programming, Ruby -> Ruby Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
TokenHerbz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:57 pm   Post subject: Ruby Graphics:

I've googled around and came across things like "GTK+ and GNOME" and many other things.

I'm wondering what library would be best to use standard graphics (kinda like turings support).

I'm looking to create simple GUI things and need to upgrade from the ruby text outputs.

Any suggestion/ links to DLs, etc would be awesome. Thanks!.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Insectoid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:30 pm   Post subject: RE:Ruby Graphics:

You might want to try Shoes. I myself can't testify for it, but wtd will no doubt show up soon to do so.
TokenHerbz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:35 pm   Post subject: RE:Ruby Graphics:

Shoes? lol okay i'll google a bit about it, I will wait for wtd or a solid opinion on why to use one over the other i suppose. thx tho i shall read up on it.
DtY

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:49 pm   Post subject: RE:Ruby Graphics:

Shoes is pretty cool, it's a very Ruby way to do a GUI. It looks very unprofessional though.

Shoes (other than web) is the only GUI library I've used with Ruby, but I know there are bindings for the most popular GUI libraries, GTK, Wx, Tk.

If you haven't used any GUI toolkits in any language before, Tk would probably be the fastest way to get going, but if you are already familiar with one in another language, look for local bindings (but you seem to have already done that without luck).
TokenHerbz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:05 pm   Post subject: RE:Ruby Graphics:

should i put that into netbeans? I cant seem to use netbeans add thing. anyone know how to directly extract/add the file?
Insectoid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:53 pm   Post subject: RE:Ruby Graphics:

From what I remember, Shoes is also a Ruby packager. I don't think it actually compiles the code, but when your code is written, instead of using the standard Ruby interpreter you invoke Shoes on the code and it will be packaged into an application-like bundle that you can then execute.

I don't know how/if Shoes works with netbeans, since I do everything from the command line.
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:11 pm   Post subject: RE:Ruby Graphics:

Shoes is nifty. Or just make a webapp.
   Index -> Programming, Ruby -> Ruby Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: