Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 His Dark Materials - Movies
Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
cavetroll

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:32 am   Post subject: His Dark Materials - Movies

Yes I know the movie came out while ago, but I recently finished the books again. I read the books several years ago and enjoyed them. When I heard about the movie I got very excited. As the release date approached I began to hear that the atheist overtones were being lessened. This frustrated me because that was one of parts of the book I liked. Still I continued to be anxious for the release. When I saw the movie I was disappointed but thought maybe my memory of the books was wrong. I set out to re-read the books. When I read the books again I realized my memory was correct. When I thought about it, I couldn't figure out why the movie companies cut out parts of the book and dulled others. I figured that anyone who knows that the movie originally had atheist overtones would refuse to see it on those grounds, despite changes to the plot. Others, like me, might have read the books and not wanted to see the movie. It appears to me as though they would have made more money by leaving the plot the way it was. Also, for anyone who has read The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass knows that no plot revision will appease religious objectors. I feel that they should have just taken the risk.

Anyway, I just needed to vent some anger. Also I want to know what others think.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
BigBear

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:23 pm   Post subject: Re: His Dark Materials - Movies

This happens with all book that get turned into movies. I admit The Lord of the Rings movies were not badly done but many other were. The Harry Potter movies seem to skip the school hardships for Harry and just make him seem really powerful.
The movie The lion, the witch, the wardrobe was very quickly told which made it seem boring to people who had not read the books, well maybe the next one will be more like the book because I think that was the worst book of the trilogy.

I have read the His Dark Materials books but not seen the movie and from what I have heard that's fine with me.
AznTiger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:51 pm   Post subject: RE:His Dark Materials - Movies

most movies of good books are horribly off, and yes the movie is going to get a lot of criticism, but hey! Who cares, it's going to be good nonetheless (as long as it resembles the original plot)
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 3 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: