Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Desktop Computer Recommendation?
Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
SS1389

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:37 pm   Post subject: Desktop Computer Recommendation?

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if there are any recommendations for any desktops at approximately $500.00. I'm a high school student, and I need the computer regularly to write up papers and assignments. Preferably it comes with a monitor.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
ProgrammingFun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:26 pm   Post subject: RE:Desktop Computer Recommendation?

Do you have any type of desire for gaming?
Do you want to build it yourself?
SS1389

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:39 pm   Post subject: Re: Desktop Computer Recommendation?

No, I barely have any desires for gaming. I want good functionality, speed, good sound quality, and very ergonomic. I'm trying to find a package that includes it all, monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Any recommendations for speakers under $50?
ProgrammingFun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:46 pm   Post subject: RE:Desktop Computer Recommendation?

You could try Canada Computers or Factory Direct (or the bootleg computer stores) @ Kennedy between Lawrence and Ellesmere...
These stores can give you brand-name speakers for really cheap...my Dad got some SiSos for $20 for his computer...
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:26 pm   Post subject: RE:Desktop Computer Recommendation?

In general, if you're willing to build it yourself and wait a couple of weeks, NCIX.com is your best option. Otherwise, if you're fine with Ubuntu, system76 is a good option.

The real sticking point is going to be the screen, because you aren't likely to find anything below about $100 that won't give you eye-death. At 20% of your operating budget, that's pretty expensive.

If you live in Toronto and would like a free 19" CRT with a crappy cable, I might happen to know someone just looking to get rid of such a device.
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:56 pm   Post subject: RE:Desktop Computer Recommendation?

Monitor for $99.99 (free shipping): http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254037

Monitor for $104.99 ($8.99 shipping): http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254054
SS1389

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:57 pm   Post subject: Re: Desktop Computer Recommendation?

Thanks guys.
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: