Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Putting a program online/Implanting in a web-browing
Index -> Programming, Visual Basic and Other Basics -> Visual Basic Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
isaiahk9

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:27 pm   Post subject: Putting a program online/Implanting in a web-browing

I'm creating a fairly simple program that is used by teachers for tasking their students in creating multiple choice questions. Students can create questions, teachers can edit and save questions: it's fairly simple, despite the slew of little additions. It all works, except for one little issue: it would be best used online, so that teachers and students could use it from remote locations easily. I have no clue how to put a program on a network (I've only ever worked off-network except for creating a few web-browsers or LAN-based games), and was wondering if anybody had any advice. Is there any way to implement a VB program in a web browser?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
chrisbrown

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:35 pm   Post subject: RE:Putting a program online/Implanting in a web-browing

I've never used VB but I do design Java-based webapps, and I'm sorry to say that it's not going to be as easy as, say, embedding an image.

Avoiding the browser, I'm sure there is a networking library that you could use, which would minimize the amount of code modification required, the downside being that it would have to be installed on eaqch machine.

The browser approach would probably mean a complete rewrite. The flow is quite different; you have to think in terms of request/response cycles, and forms have to be html-based. Look into Active Server Pages if that's what you want to do.

Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear.
isaiahk9

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:34 am   Post subject: RE:Putting a program online/Implanting in a web-browing

It may not be easy, but it's still possible.
What about other languages? Do you know if Python can?
yoursecretninja

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:04 am   Post subject: Re: Putting a program online/Implanting in a web-browing

If the shoe doesn't fit... This is something that would make sense being done as a web app. Pretty easy to pull off with a bit of HTML, some light scripting (PHP, Ruby, Python, whatever...), and simple database interactions. Embedding an application into a web browser via a plugin is not ideal, even with Flash or Java Applets.
isaiahk9

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:10 am   Post subject: RE:Putting a program online/Implanting in a web-browing

@yoursecretninja: I guess I'll try it that way. I could make a Python app I think.
jison_ma

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:34 am   Post subject: Re: Putting a program online/Implanting in a web-browing

Step 1: creat a table in your database at least has the following fields.
(1)、QuestionDescription
(2)、Key A--->(5)、Key D
(6)、Accept or not

Step 2: use one kind of web program tool to build the webpage.
In the page, you can use five textboxs to symbolize the question and the four keys. Don't forget put a label in front of each textbox just like you program with VB.
Put the above thing into one form, and the add the "Submit" and "Cancel" button.

Step 3: use the vbscript or javascript to store the page when it is submitted.

The important thing is you must learn a little Vbscript or Javascript and know how to use it link and operate your database.
   Index -> Programming, Visual Basic and Other Basics -> Visual Basic Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 6 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: