Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 religion?
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
chopperdudes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:31 pm   Post subject: religion?

just wondering how many computer programmers are religious here. i'm a hardcore atheist myself heh. my bet is there's gonna be more atheists as computer programmers xD
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
BigBear

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:47 pm   Post subject: RE:religion?

I celebrate Chrisian events but don't go to Church
chopperdudes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:59 pm   Post subject: RE:religion?

lol i mean, i celebrate the christmas break and stuff too, but i guess what i'm trying to get at, is if you believe in a deity, or a higher being.
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:30 pm   Post subject: RE:religion?

Atheism shows a correlation with intelligence and education, though it's not particularly strong, as I recall - there are atheists among the stupid / retarded, and there are believers among the genius / mensa group.

Atheist myself, but I have at least one fairly-religious friend in CS, and he's pretty smart.
michaelp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:17 am   Post subject: RE:religion?

Same as BigBear here. I celebrate Christmas, Easter, etc, as I'm Christian, but I've never gone to Church, other than a wedding maybe, and I don't believe in god, or even the concept of god.
ecookman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:55 am   Post subject: Re: religion?

here is a fun one...

God's son, jesus gave light to the earth---the sun like the big ball of fire 3 planets in front of us....that one.

yea...atheist

pretty much god was created as a "scapegoat" to explain things that science couldn't explain at the time...

-creation of solar systems and the universe.

-tides (ever heard of the moon)

-human life (personally i belive the ape evolution)

-even down to the crops that are grown...good harvest= "you are recognized and blessed by god".... in reality...you found fertile soil (again the iconic figure of god had nothing to do with it) and you also were fortunate to have rain...not because of god...just because of your relative position to a water body...etc (if you are interested..http://tinyurl.com/c3a463

but i celebrate the holidays and events because i have to, and it is an excuse to have time off.

seriously i fall asleep in church...the only time i have gone...is when i was forced to. (once for a day-camp,a nd when i was bored and did a 30hr famine...my friend had to poke me please stand...i don't think so.

I could probably write a novel on this stuff

pray all you want....the world isn't gonna change unless you do something...besides asking the famous thought.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
another fun one is the 10 commandments...but that is another story.... Twisted Evil
Tallguy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:56 am   Post subject: RE:religion?

umm, i'm a really hard core religious person, so i'm at least one computer programmer that believes in a higher being....
jbking

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:58 am   Post subject: Re: religion?

chopperdudes @ Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:31 pm wrote:
just wondering how many computer programmers are religious here. i'm a hardcore atheist myself heh. my bet is there's gonna be more atheists as computer programmers xD

Depending on what scope of religion you mean, I think I'd doubt that statement. Now, I'm not talking about Christianity, Judeaism, or Islam, but rather those "fan boys" that fall into a religion all their own. To give a few examples:

Microsoft - Is this a good company that has brought computing to the masses or is it a rotten company that did evil things way back when? I remember when I was in university there were some that would never work for Microsoft, ever. If that isn't religion, I'm not sure what is.

Intel - Once again, is this a company that abuses its monopoly and bullies other companies?

AMD - Some people would use AMD even if it meant having inferior hardware.

nVidia - Rather infamous battles between nVidia and ATi like there were between Intel and AMD, IMO.

Linux - Is this the most awesome O/S ever?

Those questions are rather rhetorical, of course. Smile
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tallguy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:19 am   Post subject: RE:religion?

@jbking

ha ha, you have no idea how much i laughed when i read yourt post, i fell off my chair, but i think he meant actually relgious, not tech relgion
A.J

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:25 am   Post subject: Re: religion?

ecookman wrote:

pretty much god was created as a "scapegoat" to explain things that science couldn't explain at the time...

I don't agree with you, ecookman. I too pondered about whether god was created as a mere 'scapegoat' as you put it, and I don't believe this is so. People could argue that 'God' was merely an entity created by people to soothe their need for knowing everything. There are quite a few phenomenons that people can't seem to find a rational explanation for, so they believed that this was due to a 'supernatural being'. I believe that this is not the case. There are other reasons for religions to revere their deities.

I don't want to get into an argument (that's the last thing we want in a computer programming website, arguments based on whether god exists or not).

Myself, I am hindu, and yes, I am religious.
BigBear

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:11 am   Post subject: Re: religion?

jbking @ Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:58 am wrote:
chopperdudes @ Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:31 pm wrote:

Depending on what scope of religion you mean, I think I'd doubt that statement. Now, I'm not talking about Christianity, Judeaism, or Islam, but rather those "fan boys" that fall into a religion all their own. To give a few examples:

Microsoft - Is this a good company that has brought computing to the masses or is it a rotten company that did evil things way back when? I remember when I was in university there were some that would never work for Microsoft, ever. If that isn't religion, I'm not sure what is.

Intel - Once again, is this a company that abuses its monopoly and bullies other companies?

AMD - Some people would use AMD even if it meant having inferior hardware.

nVidia - Rather infamous battles between nVidia and ATi like there were between Intel and AMD, IMO.

Linux - Is this the most awesome O/S ever?

Those questions are rather rhetorical, of course. Smile

Execpt what happend to good old Canadian Ati
md

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:11 am   Post subject: RE:religion?

This argument has been had before. They were long threads

The big three religions (Christianity, Judaism, and muslimism (supid not having a proper name...)) are all basically the same with minor variations in practices. Shocking given that they are all based upon the same thing... anways, they are basically the same and while they do have some good ideas (treat others as you wish to be treated, etc.) they are also the single largest source of bullshit and turmoil in history. It's rather well documented too; so arguing that they aren't is a foolish endevour.

I will posit that some religions have a much lower ratio of bullshit:good ideas, however they are still rather full of bulshit you don't need - much of it relating to explaining things which should be explained through science (or God(s)).

I posit that no person can claim to be both rational and religious without being a liar.
A.J

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:26 am   Post subject: Re: religion?

md wrote:

I posit that no person can claim to be both rational and religious without being a liar.

Well, I beg to differ. Although being emo (Laughing ij Laughing), for the sake of this argument, I claim that I am both rational and religious. And I can assure you that I am not lying.

I can see both sides of the coin, and I believe that people can indeed be rational and religious.
btiffin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:40 am   Post subject: Re: religion?

old guy opinion piece
I continually reinvent my own religion. Today I call it Quantum Buddhism.

Siddhartha Gautama didn't think the quest to discover meaning to Life, the Universe and Everything was that worthwhile. His stock response was "it does not further". I can't NOT quest to discover the root Truth of 42, so I don't feel worthy of calling myself a Buddhist (not that Buddhism is really a "faith in a higher power" belief system; as faith leads to desire and desire leads to misery). I can't lose my desire to know, so I'd die in misery if I follow that path, so ... I invented Quantum Buddhism and aim to live at peace within myself, knowing full well that I'll never know, but it's ok to try.

And no, no one else can have my religion. It's personal, for me, by me. I would only "preach" to others that they invent their own; it's not that hard really. Self delusion of having a clue is a wonderfully calming state. Smile

Cheers
A.J

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:07 am   Post subject: Re: religion?

hmm...why does Quantum Buddhism make me think of Scientology...oh well, mere coincidence I guess...
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 11  [ 152 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: