Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Useful books
Index -> Contests
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
facultyofmusic

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:24 pm   Post subject: Useful books

Anyone have suggestions on some good books that people can read that extends their knowledge on things such as algorithms, recursion, efficient coding, etc? Book that have questions like ones on DWITE and teaches algorithms on how to solve each kind of problems...
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
ccontest

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:28 pm   Post subject: Re: Useful books

A book I would suggest is Programming Challenges by Steven S.Skiena and Miguel A.Revilla.

It is specifically targeted toward people who want to excel in programming contests.

Also, each chapter covers specific category (i.e. graph theory, number theory and more) and gives various algorithms that falls

into each category.

There are about 5-10 problems per chapter to test your knowledge, and you can check your solution on
programming-challenges.com

It pretty much covers everything you need for high school computing contests, so you don't really need to buy other books.

All the sample codes are written in C language and they assume that you have considerable knowledge in C language. (STL is

not used in the code)

Note: Dwite contest problems (as it is a montly contest) are very limited. You can basically categorize the problems in 3

categories.

1. Easy/annoying ad-hoc.
2. Standard DP.
3. Standard Graph Theory/Search.

Also, since the constraints are so low, you pretty much don't have to do any optimization to earn full score.

If you read over the book and understand some of the algos, dwite will be a piece of cake. (it would be just a matter of who

solves faster)
jbking

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:10 pm   Post subject: Re: Useful books

Concrete Mathematics by Ronald L. Graham, Donald E. Knuth, Oren Patashnik would likely be a useful book but I would caution that it may be a bit advanced about some topics.

Introduction to Algorithms by Thomas H. Cormen, Charles E. Leiserson, Ronald L. Rivest, Clifford Stein would be another suggestion though this was my textbook for my 4th year Algorithm Design and Analysis course so again it may be a bit too advanced in some areas.
Tony

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:07 pm   Post subject: RE:Useful books

Introduction to Algorithms is suggested for UW's 341 Algorithms course. I'm told that it's a good book, but could be rather technical.

Picking up some Scheme is excellent for recursion.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
   Index -> Contests
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 4 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: