Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 2009-2010 Round 6 Question 1
Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> DWITE
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
PropagandaPanda

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:55 pm   Post subject: 2009-2010 Round 6 Question 1

Hello.

I'm not sure why the code below (Python) was judged as wrong. It was my second submission, so it didn't so up in the score sheet.

code:
def ReadFile():
    for Line in open("data1.txt").read().split("\n"):
        yield Line

Next = ReadFile().next

def WriteLine(Line):
    open("out1.txt","a").write(str(Line) + "\n")

def DoIt(Line):
    S = ""
    for Chr in Line:
        if "A" <= Chr <= "Z":
            Ord = ord(Chr) - 65
            Ord += 13
            Ord %= 26
            S += chr(Ord+65)
        else:
            S += Chr
    return S

for QQ in xrange(5):
    WriteLine(DoIt(Next()))

I'm guessing it was because there were trailing spaces in the test file, but I assumed this may have been allowed because the program was suppose to read the whole line.

Would it be possible for you to attach a copy of the test file used on the judge machine?

Thanks.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:59 pm   Post subject: RE:2009-2010 Round 6 Question 1

It might have had something to do with \r\n newlines on the Windows judge, vs. \n newlines on *nix machines.

The test data is available online via http://dwite.org/home/contest/29, although you wouldn't see the system dependent newlines.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:44 pm   Post subject: RE:2009-2010 Round 6 Question 1

If you give me your team name I can look up in the judges logs about what might have happened.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
PropagandaPanda

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:33 pm   Post subject: RE:2009-2010 Round 6 Question 1

Hello.

Quote:
It might have had something to do with \r\n newlines on the Windows judge, vs. \n newlines on *nix machines.
I don't think this is the issue. Python automatically convers \r\n to \n when reading and vice versa when writing.

The test data provided works fine with my program.

Quote:

If you give me your team name I can look up in the judges logs about what might have happened.
My team name is PropagandaPanda. I would appreciate if you could look into it for me.

Thanks for your time.
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:49 pm   Post subject: Re: 2009-2010 Round 6 Question 1

For the fist submssion the judge reported the following error:

code:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "answer1.py", line 25, in <module>
    A = Next()
StopIteration

and the output file contained:

Quote:

QJVGR DHRFGVBA
BAR CHAPGHNGVBA.,
EBG13 <GBAL>

Note that all the line breaks are wrong.

The second submssion had no errors but the output file contained the following:

Quote:

QUESTION ONE
<TONY>
ROT13
PUNCTUATION.,
DWITE

This is the contents of the data1.txt file.

The code you submited for the second submission is diffrent from what you posted here and looks like so:

Python:

def ReadFile():
    for Part in open("data1.txt","r").read().split("\n"):
        yield Part
Next = ReadFile().next

def WriteLine(Line):
    open("out1.txt","a").write(str(Line) + "\n")

def DoIt(Line):
    S = ""
    for Chr in Line:
        if "A" <= Chr <= "Z":
            Ord = ord(Chr) - 65
            Ord += 13
            Ord %= 26
            S += chr(Ord+65)
        else:
            S += Chr
    return S

for QQ in xrange(5):
    WriteLine(Next())

note the last line:

WriteLine(Next())

is diffrent then what you posted and just copies the contents of data1.txt to out1.txt.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
PropagandaPanda

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:13 pm   Post subject: RE:2009-2010 Round 6 Question 1

Hello Dan.

Sorry for wasting your time. The mistake was completely mine.

I had submitted the a bad copy of my code.

Thanks.
   Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> DWITE
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 6 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: