Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Setting Up To Learn and Use C
Index -> Programming, C -> C Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Nai

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:39 am   Post subject: Setting Up To Learn and Use C

Hello, I'm a relatively inexperienced programmer (I know Turing and I am in the process of learning Java) and I am interested in learning the C language.

I recently acquired a book called Hardware Hacks for Geeks that outlines several projects, ranging from setting up a toaster to forecast the weather by burning a pattern into bread to making a digital periscope for a car. The project that I am currently most interested in however is Hacking a Furby.

The book tells me that I will need SDCC (Small Device C Compiler), an assembler, and various other pieces of hardware and software. I was wondering how to set up my computer so that I could use SDCC to make programs that I can upload to the furby, and also how I would go about setting up my computer so that I could start experimenting a little with C.

My main questions are: How do I get C? How do I set it up (I'm on Windows XP here)? and How do I go about using it?

Thanks
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:13 pm   Post subject: RE:Setting Up To Learn and Use C

You don't "get" C, you get a compiler for C. C is just the language; a compiler includes the standard libraries and will do the work of compiling for you. How you edit your C files is entirely up to you - notepad, vim, an IDE, whatever (I recommend either vim or an IDE).

Just google search whatever products your book is using and download the Windows versions.

You will probably have to compile from the command line, with something like gcc -o myapp ...
BigBear

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:36 pm   Post subject: RE:Setting Up To Learn and Use C

I suggest downloading MinGW and installing it.

Then downloading and installing Scite.

Then writing your code in Scite and either using the command line (cmd) and g++ mySource.c

is the extension .c ?? I wanted to put .cpp

or you can press F5 to run it on the side of Scite, it will also show the MinGW errors and step to the line numbers of the code with F4.
Tony

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:36 pm   Post subject: RE:Setting Up To Learn and Use C

g++ is a C++ compiler.

Also, why is this thread in [Java Help]? Moved.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Nai

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:41 pm   Post subject: Re: Setting Up To Learn and Use C

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have to give them a try soon. And yeah sorry about the misplacing of the thread, I meant to put it in C Help but I guess I wasn't paying attention.
wtd

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:45 pm   Post subject: RE:Setting Up To Learn and Use C

C is not C++

Or vice versa.

They are distinct languages. If you wish to learn C++, then learn C++, but if not, then learn C, and ignore suggestions that would have you using C++ compilers and tools.
   Index -> Programming, C -> C Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 6 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: