Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 How hard is it to get into computer science at waterloo university?
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
hamid14

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:37 pm   Post subject: How hard is it to get into computer science at waterloo university?

Thinking about waterloo university and was wondering, how hard is it to get an admission for computer science at the university of waterloo? Also, did you you have to put many extra-curricualr activites on the AIF form? What things are recomended to have a high chance in getting into the computer science program at waterloo university? Sorry for all the questions, but I am very curious, since I really want to get an admission at this university. Thanks for any answers in advance! Canada
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
chrisbrown

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:31 am   Post subject: RE:How hard is it to get into computer science at waterloo university?

First of all, it's not as hard as people seem to think.

Extracurriculars help, but they are second to grades. An average of at least 85 seems to be the lower end of admissions. If you have less than that (no lower than low 80's), extracurriculars and strong performances in the CCC and Euclid math contest may help you get in. Above 85, your chances are fairly good either way.
Tony

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 2:47 pm   Post subject: RE:How hard is it to get into computer science at waterloo university?

- decent grades; each University publishes the numbers from previous years
- keep your marks balanced. English marks are perceived to carry heavier weight than CS (high school Computer Science is not even a requirement, and it's often too easy to get high grades)
- CCC and Euclid

Apply to every University you would attend. The cost of extra applications is negligible, next to the tuition that you will pay. If you "really want to get an admission", then you absolutely must apply, and then just do your best.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Mr._Brown

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:57 pm   Post subject: Re: How hard is it to get into computer science at waterloo university?

It's not that hard to get into Comp Sci at Waterloo. I had around an 82% average at midterms, and I got my offer of admission with that average. The funny thing is I thought I'd get into U of T for comp sci before I'd get Waterloo. As for AIF, I'm not sure how important it is as I got in with a low 80's average, and I don't remember writting about a lot of activities on my AIF. Perhaps my math teacher was convincing in his recommendation letter? Who knows.
revangrey

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:03 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:How hard is it to get into computer science at waterloo university?

Tony @ Sun May 09, 2010 2:47 pm wrote:
- decent grades; each University publishes the numbers from previous years
... English marks are perceived to carry heavier weight than CS

umm... would taking 12U English in the summer break before grade 12 be looked down upon?

I signed up for it already...

I usually have mid 80s in English though, so taking it during the year wouldn't be a problem I guess.
mono-1-rulz

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:07 pm   Post subject: RE:How hard is it to get into computer science at waterloo university?

@revangrey
Waterloo asks you to specify whether you have taken any courses in summer school or night school and asks you for a reason too. Whether it hurts your application, I really have no idea. For other universities, I don't think it matters at all.
revangrey

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:24 pm   Post subject: Re: How hard is it to get into computer science at waterloo university?

ok thanks.

I doubt "I have better subjects to take" is a valid reason, but I am sure I will think of something Wink
syntax_error

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:25 pm   Post subject: RE:How hard is it to get into computer science at waterloo university?

Summer school marks are looked down upon, generally by most admin staff at universities. Since believe it or not those who sit on the admission team aren't stupid. They know people take course in summer school for the inflated marks; there is no way you will get the same lvl of depth of a course thrown at you in a month vs. spread out over 5 months.

If it can be helped I *strongly* recommend not take something such as English in summer school its needed for ANY program you will apply for taking an easy way out right now will not help in the long run.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
revangrey

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:41 pm   Post subject: Re: How hard is it to get into computer science at waterloo university?

>sigh< well I guess I will look over taking it during the year instead, but I really wanted to take writers craft.

either way thanks for the advice!
A.J

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:06 pm   Post subject: RE:How hard is it to get into computer science at waterloo university?

Getting into the Computer Science program at University of Waterloo is pretty easy. Like Tony mentioned, only decent grades and a few extracurricular activities are required. So I wouldn't worry if I were you.
Prabhakar Ragde

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:30 am   Post subject: RE:How hard is it to get into computer science at waterloo university?

English in summer school will not kill your application, especially if you can pull off a 90. You need a good reason, and "I wanted to take Writer's Craft during the school year" is a good reason, as it shows you value the subject and communication in general and are not just trying to "get it out of the way" (yes, I have seen that phrase on an AIF, and I was really not impressed with that).
tomcat49

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:48 am   Post subject: RE:How hard is it to get into computer science at waterloo university?

I applied for computer science with an 89 average and a solid AIF and but couldn't get in so I don't know if it's just me or it's a lot harder than most people think. Also I emailed the university and they said the cutoff was a 90 which makes sense why I didnt get in. Bottom line, you have to be a super nerd to get into their program.
Raknarg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:29 am   Post subject: RE:How hard is it to get into computer science at waterloo university?

or just be an incredibly hard worker. My friend couldve done it, and he was planning on it. BUt then he found out about how much work he'd have to do, and he bailed for mcmaster instead.
randint

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:50 pm   Post subject: Re: How hard is it to get into computer science at waterloo university?

Then, time and time again, I have proven to people online that I am a dumbass. I did not even have the guts to apply to CS at Waterloo, and I did not even get my original offer (applied to Math Co-op, but got Math Regular). But then, Math is easier to get into, so, just get into math, even if it is regular, you can transfer......

I am going to take CS 135 as a Math student at Waterloo...... CS 136 after that, then nothing...... CO courses are hopefully as good as CS, I do not want to pay $4000 extra/year......
GeorgeRS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:22 am   Post subject: How hard is it to get into computer science at waterloo university

Its like asking "How difficult is it to get into a British university?". For Westminster its not that difficult, for Cambridge it is. Why should Sweden be different? Getting into medicine at Karolinska will be by far more difficult than at a small university in the hinterland.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 15 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: