Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Since everyone hated Bill C-61...
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
DtY

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:58 pm   Post subject: Since everyone hated Bill C-61...

http://torrentfreak.com/canada-fast-tracks-draconian-anti-piracy-law-100506/
http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/5008/125/

Let's try it again

Sad
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
ProgrammingFun

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:56 pm   Post subject: RE:Since everyone hated Bill C-61...

There is a Pirate Party running for the next election and they plan to challenge the copyright laws (modeled after Sweden's Pirate Party...I think).
USEC_OFFICER

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:08 pm   Post subject: RE:Since everyone hated Bill C-61...

Damn, I thought they were in favour of raiding Saskatewan and stealing wheat and barley, and all those other grains.
TerranceN

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:57 pm   Post subject: RE:Since everyone hated Bill C-61...

Oh, I could have sworn they were a group of buccaneers in Alberta that roam the Athabaska from Smith to North McKay, and you're gonna lose your Stetson if you have to pass their way.
DtY

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:10 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Since everyone hated Bill C-61...

ProgrammingFun @ Fri May 07, 2010 7:56 pm wrote:
There is a Pirate Party running for the next election and they plan to challenge the copyright laws (modeled after Sweden's Pirate Party...I think).
They only became a party a few months ago, I'm not sure there's anything they can do in the next six weeks, and unless I'm mistaken (which may be the case) Sweden's Ipred laws were enacted after the PP over there had some seats.

I'm not sure if there's any truth to this, but I heard this was part of ACTA, which will probably make it much harder to get rid of.
andrew.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:31 pm   Post subject: RE:Since everyone hated Bill C-61...

I didn't really read it, but are we not going to be able to download torrents and stuff once it's passed?
DtY

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:59 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Since everyone hated Bill C-61...

andrew. @ Sun May 09, 2010 3:31 pm wrote:
I didn't really read it, but are we not going to be able to download torrents and stuff once it's passed?
You can download all the torrents you want, here's some Fedora torrents, here's a movie, and here's some great music. There would be a huge outcry if a law made downloading any of that illegal.

The DMCA laws in the US, and I'm pretty sure this was all the same in Bill C-61, only allow copyright holders further rights in how they can remove the consumer's rights. Under the DMCA (unless the license for the content you obtain says otherwise) you can:

- Make a single copy of the media for backup, you must make this backup yourself (you cannot download a movie you bought!)
- This makes it illegal to have two backups of media
- If you give away the original, you must either give the backup with it, or destroy the backup.
- This only applies if you do not have to break electronic measures (DRM) to make the backup (ie. you cannot make a backup copy of a DVD if it is DRMed, which every commercial movie is).
- Luckily, music CDs do not have DRM, so you can rip them, and have a copy on your computer. You'd better delete them though after you put the music on your MP3 player.
SNIPERDUDE

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:39 pm   Post subject: RE:Since everyone hated Bill C-61...

They shall never stop me! Muahahaha!
Even if this level of security happens, hackers are just as smart (on several occasions smarter). Someone will always find a way.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 12:52 am   Post subject: Re: RE:Since everyone hated Bill C-61...

SNIPERDUDE @ Sun May 09, 2010 9:39 pm wrote:
hackers are just as smart ... Someone will always find a way.

It's not about stronger DRM schemes (there's a fundamental flaw as any media that's played on a FOSS computer is recordable and reproducible).

It's actually about moving in the direction away from selling consumers copies of media and towards selling revocable licenses on per-device basis. There are two main ways to go about letting corporations have individual level control of copying media -- have anyone use closed systems only (think Windows Media Centers refusing to record/play certain signed media), and legal enforcement.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
SNIPERDUDE

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:54 am   Post subject: RE:Since everyone hated Bill C-61...

Indeed that would suck.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 10 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: