Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Who turns there computers off, and why?
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Do you turn your computer off when you goto bed?
(No ending time set)
Yes
40%
 40%  [ 11 ]
No
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Sometimes
29%
 29%  [ 8 ]
Never, the only time it goes off is when I am upgrading the hardware.
22%
 22%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 27

octopi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:40 pm   Post subject: Who turns there computers off, and why?

Just wondering who turns there computers off, and why....

personally I see NO point in turning them off....
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I turn mine off.

Clears the memory and lets the parts cool down overnight. Also saves on the electric bill or something... or so I was told.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I never turn mine off, alougth resatring comp has some small pluses like clreaing memory it also cuts the life of the computer down each time. There have been studys done that show the fewer boots and longer the life of the computer.

Also i got computers that are import for my home netwrok wich i whont to stay on so i can keep it funcuale.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Amailer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i turn mine off Sad
sad Sad
Mazer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i haven't turned my comp off since the last time i formatted sometime in the summer. i'm just too busy... er... buying stuff online. yeah, that's it, buying stuff...
Kingnoz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i always turn mine off at night...or else i can't sleep cuz i constantly hear the fan spinning
Martin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I turn my computer off for many reasons.

1. it gives the memory a chance to clear.
2. it saves electricity. Waste not want not.
3. my computer boots in 20 seconds so I don't really care
4. reduces the chance that a surge'll catch it and fry something pricey. And yes, I do have a surge protector, but still there's always the chance.
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

no kidding... when people say to keep electric things off during thunderstorm - its for a reason. When a lightning stroke my house, it fried my modem.. Though I think the shock came though the phone wire since it also fried one of the phones in the house Confused
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Amailer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Happnes all the time Very Happy
octopi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The device being turned off isn't enough you realize.....you have to have a switch off between the device and the electical source. (Have to turn a power bar off.) (Or the switch on the back of the power supply)

Pressing the button on the front of your computer won't do anything to help you from lightning strikes. Your motherboards still getting power when its off. Power goes from your power supply, to your motherboard, and then your motherboard to the power switch on the front.

The power switch on the front's not between the power supply, and the motherboard. So you can still get fried.
Amailer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well, it hasen't happned to many people who turn it off with the front switch -.-
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I turn off the power supply switch Wink
octopi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

...Yah, amailers right.....it also doesn't happen to many people who leave them on either...go figure...

Honestly...who has accutally had a computer fried by lightning.....in my city....the power goes out when theres a lightning storm, associated with that are power surges, before the power acctually goes out. How come nothing I owns ever been fried?

Maybe that power bar does do something? Either way....back to amailers point, I am betting that almost everyone who owns a computer has it plugged into a power bar....almost all power bars are power/surge protectors.

So how can you say that just because people who turn the computers off are protected? It makes no sence....I think if you look at the issue, the same number of people are protected, regardless of if they turn there computer off using the power supply switch, the power bar switch, the front switch, or if they leave it on.

Personally I know NO ONE who uses a computer without a power bar...why well maybe because the average power outlet has 2 sockets......one for the monitor, one for the case.....most people have more then that.

Anyways...you can't just associate the fact that people who use the front power button to turn a computer off are safer then anyone else...without looking at the real facts.
Blade

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

he's right.... don't bother arguing...the only comps that have the switches connected to the power supply were the OLD AT style computers... everyones computer now is controlled by the mainboard... power to the mainboard then the switch... just like octopi said... you are NOT safer unless you cut power to the powersupply... if you can't see that, then you are dumber than what i took you for

edit: most of this was directed towards amailer -- meaning "your computer is safer during a storm when turned off"
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Blade wrote:
if you can't see that, then you are dumber than what i took you for

I hope you aren't talking about me Confused

I'm not saying my computer is safer or anything at night. Just saves on electrisity and clears RAM. It doesnt lag as bad as my friend's computer which he leaves on for weeks Wink

as for the fried modem - its power supply is connected directly to the socket (well though the bar), not though the computer. And as I mentioned before the shock probly came in though the phone wire Confused

And I completely agree with octopi 8)
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 5  [ 67 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: