Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 How does Geothermal Heating Work?
Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
BigBear

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:36 pm   Post subject: How does Geothermal Heating Work?

I've known about geothermal heating in terms of deep water life living solely on geothermal heating and would survive if the sun dissapeared and started hurtling through space.

I recently learned about geothermal heat to be used to heat homes and even water.

Basically the process takes water in the ground which maintains a constant temperature of 10 - 15 degrees Celsius and takes the heat from it and return it to the ground to become warmed by the earth again.

What I cannot figure out is how you can take water 15 degrees and heat a house to 20 degrees or even heat water even warmer.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
SNIPERDUDE

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:16 am   Post subject: RE:How does Geothermal Heating Work?

Don't remember - but I did a project on it for science class in grade 9. As far as I can remember, it was temperatures higher than 15 degrees Celsius - it was hot enough to create steam.
Also, when in doubt Wikipedia it.
BigBear

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:08 pm   Post subject: RE:How does Geothermal Heating Work?

Yeah I have looked online and I cannot find where it explains how a heat pump captures the energy from the temperature deferential.
Homer_simpson

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:15 pm   Post subject: Re: How does Geothermal Heating Work?

what you need to look for is the laws of thermodynamics. if you bring water from inside the ground that has more energy in the form of heat than it did prior. you can use that energy to heat up a gas, if you keep the volume of the gas constant and increase the pressure you can increase its temperature therefore you can use 15 water to get a house to 20 degrees. try looking up the carnot engine it may be what you are looking for.
hope this helps
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 4 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: