Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Platforming Game Character
Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
isaiahk9

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:37 pm   Post subject: Platforming Game Character

Hey, I'm making a platforming game, and I've almost finished everything: lots of levels, an achievements system, epic bosses, blah blah blah. However, there's something my game is missing: a useful character.
Allow me to briefly explain: my main character is good and all, and he looks pretty (like the dude on the left: http://murfinsandburglars.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/braid.jpg) but he doesn't really contribute to the gameplay. He can run, jump, squish his enemies and ride vehicles. But he needs an ability or power-up to really make him fundamental to the game: some gameplay element that will make the game fantastic, adding to combat and puzzles. The best my peers have been able to come up with has been "blow shit up with his mind", and although that's cool and all, I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
yumrum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:37 pm   Post subject: RE:Platforming Game Character

Personally i would have to go with that physic idea or mabye like controlling wind cause then he could like due multiple things like possible add to a higher jump with like upgrading.. also he could like ride a wind ball to move faster.. and like shoot out like a wind blast kinda like a khameama blast from dbz and the other stuff is from like avatar... Oh u could make him the avater like controling wind..earth..water...fire
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:02 pm   Post subject: RE:Platforming Game Character

Assuming it's a puzzle/platformer like the application you stole your main character's images from...

Give him the ability to cast a limited selection of spells based on the level. These might include fly, levitate, leap, fireball, wall of force / iron / stone, freeze. Limit the number of spells available in any given level to a very small number (about 3) and make the player choose which ones before starting the level. Make the levels non-linear so that you may have to advance to later levels to get a specific spell, then return to a previous level to complete it.

Other ideas:

Give him the ability to change his size at will, from tiny to enormous.

Give him a grappling hook, teleporter gun (like UT2k4), or other piece of equipment used to traverse the map.
isaiahk9

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:59 am   Post subject: RE:Platforming Game Character

Thanks, I'll probably go with something along the lines of a portal gun.
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 4 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: