Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Please Help If You Can? Total beginner making a video game.
Index -> Programming, Visual Basic and Other Basics -> Visual Basic Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
vbnoob

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:17 pm   Post subject: Please Help If You Can? Total beginner making a video game.

Hello all,

As my name and topic of this topic suggests, I am a TOTAL beginner with visual basic (and with computer programming in general). I had this incredibly ambious goal to make a video game and so I am teaching myself/relying on kindness and knowledge of others as I go along. So far I have learned a lot, however needless to say, this is a monstrously difficult challenge, however one that I am very passionate about completing. The idea is that I am making a trading card style game and I was hoping that I could keep continue using this thread and your kindness to keep me going throughout this challenge.

So, here is where I am now.

I have created a card class with two properties. name and picture with name As String, and picture as PictureBox. the constructor looks like this:

Public Sub New(ByVal name As String, ByVal picture As PictureBox)
_name = name
_picture = picture
End Sub

I have set up two arrays of cards. The first, a list of the cards in the game and the second is a list of the players deck. they look like this:

Public baseSetCardList(102) As card
baseSetCardList(0) = New card("cardName1", cardPicture1)
baseSetCardList(1) = New card("cardName2", cardPicture2)
baseSetCardList(101) = New card("cardName102", cardPicture102)

Public playerDeck(60) As card
playerDeck(0) = baseSetCardList(7)
playerDeck(1) = baseSetCardList(23)
playerDeck(59) = baseSetCardList(97)

I have then set up a loop that places the name element of the card on a listbox. it is set up as so:

For index = 0 To 59
deckPage.deckList.Items.Add(playerDeck(index).name)
Next index

My next goal(and where I am currently stuck) is making i so that when the user clicks on one of the items in the listbox, a picture of the appropriate card(saved in a pictureBox of its own on a different form, and referenced in the card via the picture element) will be placed inside the empty picture box on the deckPage.

If there is anybody that can help me with this daunting challenge, please do so?
Thank you in advance, Justin
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
   Index -> Programming, Visual Basic and Other Basics -> Visual Basic Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 1 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: