Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Does U of T have an minimum required average?
Index -> Student Life
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
BigBear

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:54 pm   Post subject: Does U of T have an minimum required average?

I am trying to decide which universities to apply to.

So far I am considering

Queens -> 75% avg
Carleton -> 75%
U of T -> ?
McGill -> ?

I have noticed while trying to find required average the minimum average required is not always present with the required courses.

Shouldn't the minimum required average be easier to find?

Does anyone know the minimum required average for U of T or McGill?

I will have about a 70% - 75% average and am wondering which school to apply to that I have a greater chance of being accepted.

Another question I have is do you apply for financial aid once you know which school you will be going to?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Euphoracle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:29 pm   Post subject: RE:Does U of T have an minimum required average?

If you have the absolutely minimum average, you're probably not getting in. Minimum averages are usually well below the effective enrolling minimum (which changes each term) and serve only as a limitation to prevent frivolous applications. An average of 70-75% doesn't look great on an post-secondary application, unfortunately, but good luck.
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:58 pm   Post subject: RE:Does U of T have an minimum required average?

Is it the "minimum average" or "last year's cutoff average"? Sometimes the two terms are interchangeable.

If you are near 70 -- Lakehead, Ryerson, Brock
75+ -- Carleton, Guelph
Not sure about UofT, I think it's "mid 80s"

If you can, I'd recommend still applying to where you want to go. Sometimes you might be able to get extra points out of "additional information forms", contest scores, or just attending a high school with good record of past students. There were a couple of students in my program who got in with graduating average just below what was advertised (those those were few).
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:11 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Does U of T have an minimum required average?

BigBear @ Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:03 pm wrote:
What would be the easiest university to get into with such low marks?

The one where the least students want to go. Either because of lower standards, or because they are new and in remote locations.

Hint: you are better off taking a chance with a new University (**wink** **wink** Lakehead), than settling for something mediocre.

Bonus points, you might get Dan to be your TA!
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Prabhakar Ragde

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:27 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Does U of T have an minimum required average?

Tony @ Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:58 pm wrote:
If you can, I'd recommend still applying to where you want to go. Sometimes you might be able to get extra points out of "additional information forms", contest scores, or just attending a high school with good record of past students. There were a couple of students in my program who got in with graduating average just below what was advertised (those those were few).

This is not necessarily doing such students a favour. They are the ones at highest risk of being overwhelmed by the demands of the program and switching majors or dropping out.

My guess is that the U of T cutoff is in the high '70's, though as Tony says, other information makes the border ragged.
BigBear

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:35 pm   Post subject: RE:Does U of T have an minimum required average?

What about McGill?
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:00 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Does U of T have an minimum required average?

Tony @ 15th December 2009, 6:58 pm wrote:
Is it the "minimum average" or "last year's cutoff average"? Sometimes the two terms are interchangeable.

If you are near 70 -- Lakehead, Ryerson, Brock

For Lakehead 70 is the "minimum average" and not necessarily the "last year's cutoff average" which is different for every program well, 70 seems to be the general minimum to even be considered (tho i have heard stories about some students who had below 70 but a lot of additional activities who got in on academic probation). From what i remember from when i was apply 70 was a prity standard minimum average (tho as tony pointed out that's not nessarly the same as the minimum to actually get in which is different for each program and not known till all the applications are in).

I would apply to where you want to get in (for the reasons tony stated) as well as some places that you are likely to get in as back ups. It is possible to change universities after first year, however in my opinion you would be just as well off at any university in Ontario (it's more about what you put in to it and willingness to learn, etc, etc).
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
BigBear

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:17 pm   Post subject: RE:Does U of T have an minimum required average?

18 hour drive from Ottawa though lol
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:37 pm   Post subject: RE:Does U of T have an minimum required average?

Some might see it as an advantage Wink
Euphoracle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:08 pm   Post subject: RE:Does U of T have an minimum required average?

I would.
implosion

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:10 pm   Post subject: RE:Does U of T have an minimum required average?

i'm in my first year at uoft, at the scarborough campus. my average second semester with my midterm marks was 83. but then with exams my average probably fell around 79/80 (never bothered to pick up my final report card). i got rejected from downtown but i made it into the co-op at utsc. although i don't remember if UTSG wanted a supplementary form, because i never filled any out, so that might have been why i didn't get accepted, or not. lol

hope that helps.
BigBear

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:14 pm   Post subject: RE:Does U of T have an minimum required average?

Scarborough has an additional application.

For Brock it has required courses with a (min. 70%) next to it does that mean a 70 is required in each course?
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:28 pm   Post subject: RE:Does U of T have an minimum required average?

That depends on the University. I think most just require you to include those specific courses in the average you apply with. Though others might have more specific requirements. I think it's best to contact the University itself for such kind of details.
octopi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:17 am   Post subject: Re: Does U of T have an minimum required average?

I was accepted into the CAST program at Brock a while back, with a 67 average. (If I remember correctly)
I know my English mark wasn't good (pretty sure <65), although computer science/physics, etc marks were good.

Brock is a pretty nice school, we definitely don't have the reputation that the other school's have though. It's pretty busy right now(cramped), we have a lot of new construction, which should alleviate this in the future.

As a student with a marginal average, I must stress how important it is to attend all your lectures (despite how boring they are, or you think your learning nothing). Also it's very important to study as much as possible...you don't want to put yourself in a position where your major average is <70, it's hard to raise it if you start out badly.
Crazymik3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:44 pm   Post subject: RE:Does U of T have an minimum required average?

I got into the St. George (Downtown) Campus for U of T last year with a 85% avg, and I think McGill is around that area, too.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 17 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: