Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Question about RSS
Index -> Web Design
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
pmads

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:49 pm   Post subject: Question about RSS

Just for the record I don't have any experience in writing in HTML or and sort of web design code. However, I want to have an RSS feed for one of my favorite websites that doesnt have RSS on the page I want. It is video streaming site that has RSS for the front page but for specific subsections (like a particular TV show) it does not provide RSS. Basically I want the RSS feed to see when a new episode of the TV show is uploaded to the site.

From a google search I have found tutorials on how to write an RSS feed which seems pretty easy to do. All the work is pretty much done for me and all I have to do is basically just have to write the code they provided and change it for the site and content that I want. My questions is though, when my RSS reader detects new content on the site, does it do so by automatically scanning the website for new content or does the website designer update the RSS feed which my reader then detects?

I guess my question really is, how does an RSS reader detect new content on a website?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Zren

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:56 pm   Post subject: RE:Question about RSS

The Website you visit will update the feed. Which your Reader will periodically check and notify you when it changes. Then the Reader formats an RSS feed from this:
code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<rss version="2.0">
<channel>
<title>Website Feed</title>
<description>Website Feed coded manually</description>
<link>http://www.yourdomain.com</link>
<item>
<title>Announcing new Products</title>
<description>Announcing a new line of products</description>
<link>http://www.yourdomain.com/products.htm</link>
</item>
</channel>
</rss>

Into something you'd see in your particular reader with fonts, links and the like.

What RSS reader are you using. You might be able to filter the results on the main page to only have the updates to your particular show.
pmads

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:39 am   Post subject: RE:Question about RSS

I use Firefox and have the RSS saved in the bookmark toolbar, I don't use a separate program however I could use the Google Reader. I think I'll try your suggestion and use a filter. I just wanted to know if it was possible to create an RSS for any site and have it automatically update itself but I suppose this is not possible. Thanks for your help.
DtY

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:04 am   Post subject: RE:Question about RSS

Check out http://page2rss.com/
It will watch changes to a webpage, and give you an RSS feed for it.
faris

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:03 am   Post subject: Re: Question about RSS

I'd just hand code the menu in HTML in that case. For larger menus or more dynamic requirements there are other menu controls that are more lightweight..

If you are looking for quick success in dumps then join today to explore useful HP2-E58 braindumps resources and Carnegie Mellon University certification on first try guaranteed. See more information on Youtube website or see Facebook page best wishes.
   Index -> Web Design
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 5 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: