Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 question about ORIGINAL BAISC
Index -> Programming, Visual Basic and Other Basics -> Other Basics
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
gillen15

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:21 pm   Post subject: question about ORIGINAL BAISC

I mean like the first original basic. My question is: How different is it from other types of basic? there are lots of help topics for other types but which one is closest?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
btiffin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:56 pm   Post subject: Re: question about ORIGINAL BAISC

Ahh, good old BASIC. <To be written in Sarcastica font>
code:

10 cls
20 print "Hello ";
30 goto 20

Very little structure, no objects, good old line numbers and goto. Early BASICs did have GOSUB <linenumber> and RETURN but not an ELSE clause for IF THEN. Variable names limited to 1 maybe 2 characters. With $ signs required for variables that held strings. Wikipedia has a pretty good overview of the evolution.

Labelled code didn't come until after the Level-II extensions on original TRS-80 machines and their ilk.

Be glad of the works of Niklaus Wirth. He pressured the pedagogic programming field into directions that we all benefit from. Smile And be happy the "good old days" became the "better now days".

And to be honest, I kinda wish Bill Gates knew more about and followed McCarthy, Kay or even Backus and Hopper before Kemeny and Kurtz. The world might be a completely different place.

Cheers
Sniper4Life

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:24 pm   Post subject: RE:question about ORIGINAL BAISC

ya i was wondering a bit bout this too
cus today i started dual-booting with linux and i saw a program i could download called Basic-256

and the online article with it said that Basic explains HOW a computer thinks not HOW to program
so i was thinking this is just what i needed Very Happy

so could anyone explain Basic a bit for me?
Sniper4Life

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:25 pm   Post subject: RE:question about ORIGINAL BAISC

all things i see on google to do with basic are like QBasic or Visual Basic so i was looking for help with the original basic

just like gilen 15 Very Happy
Homer_simpson

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:01 am   Post subject: Re: question about ORIGINAL BAISC

basic is wicked, the first programming language i used was on a commodore 64 basic 2.0
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:55 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:question about ORIGINAL BAISC

Sniper4Life @ 2009-05-07, 2:25 pm wrote:
all things i see on google to do with basic are like QBasic or Visual Basic so i was looking for help with the original basic

Well, QuickBASIC is very close to the 'original' BASIC, depending on what exactly you mean by 'original'. Most code is identical, with a few limitations removed and some additions.
Sniper4Life

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:37 pm   Post subject: RE:question about ORIGINAL BAISC

k thanks Very Happy

more of the questions in my head are more about how a computer works...not the syntax of a language...Sad
   Index -> Programming, Visual Basic and Other Basics -> Other Basics
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: