Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Installing pygame on OS X
Index -> Programming, Python -> Python Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
DtY

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:09 pm   Post subject: Installing pygame on OS X

When I start python from the CLI, it says it is python 2.6.1, however, when I try to install pygame 1.9.1 there is a yellow warning icon on the harddrive, and it says "System Python 2.6" is required to install.
I have not updated python or installed any extra modules for it (this would be the first), this is just what came with snow leopard.

Anyone know what's wrong with it?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:38 pm   Post subject: RE:Installing pygame on OS X

You might have a different version of Python available as well (Leopard comes with 2.5.1; don't know if your system was an upgrade or a fresh install), and through some weird PATH configuration pygame might be finding the older install.

This is just a guess though.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
DtY

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:51 pm   Post subject: RE:Installing pygame on OS X

That looks like it might be the case, python[ tab ][ tab ] tells me I have python, python2.5 and python2.6 (python being 2.6).
It looks like all the executables are in the same place though (/usr/bin/)
Any idea on what I need to do to make it not find 2.5? Do I need to uninstall it?
[edit] [ tab ] with no spaces puts in a

tab? That's awesome!
andrew.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:49 pm   Post subject: RE:Installing pygame on OS X

I had this problem too. It seems that pygame will not install with the default Mac Python installation. You must install Python yourself from here. After installing that, it will become your default Python installation for terminal. You can now install Pygame. Enjoy!

Edit: Wrong URL was fixed
DtY

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:12 pm   Post subject: RE:Installing pygame on OS X

That worked, thank you Smile
   Index -> Programming, Python -> Python Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 5 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: