Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Looking for a Netbook Powerhouse
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
chrisbrown

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:17 pm   Post subject: Looking for a Netbook Powerhouse

Does anyone have any recommendations for a powerful netbook? I'm looking for (relatively, of course) a big screen and keyboard with a decent cpu and graphics. Battery life/environmental concerns not an issue.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rdrake

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:28 pm   Post subject: Re: Looking for a Netbook Powerhouse

methodoxx @ Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:17 pm wrote:
...for a powerful netbook?.
I'm not sure any exist. All I've seen are Atom powered.

If you want decent graphics, try to find one based on Nvidia's ION.
andrew.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:07 pm   Post subject: RE:Looking for a Netbook Powerhouse

If you want a big screen and keyboard with decent CPU and GPU, why not just get a regular laptop? They sell decent 13-14" ones now.
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:41 pm   Post subject: RE:Looking for a Netbook Powerhouse

I am a bit confused as to how it would be a netbook if it had a big screen and keyboard. The main idea behind netbooks as i understand them is that they provide a cheap lightweight (in terms of specs) and minimalistic platform for basic tasks such as surfing the web, word processing, etc.

It may help if you define what you mean by a powerful cpu and gpu, as well as what your idea of a big screen is.

If you are looking for a powerful laptop there are many of those, up to about the same specs as desktop. However you will pay for it in both cost, weight, size and battery life.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
chrisbrown

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:44 pm   Post subject: RE:Looking for a Netbook Powerhouse

Let me rephrase my question: in the scope of netbooks, can anyone recommend one that favours any of {screen size, keyboard size, processing power} over battery life. Essentially I'm looking for opposite of a "green" netbook.
Euphoracle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:54 pm   Post subject: RE:Looking for a Netbook Powerhouse

Something with ion or you can be sane and get a regular 13" notebook like a macbook or something.
andrew.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:20 pm   Post subject: RE:Looking for a Netbook Powerhouse

From what it sounds like, I think you would be better off with a 13" MacBook or MB Pro. It's powerful, small, and has a decent battery life.
chrisbrown

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:23 pm   Post subject: RE:Looking for a Netbook Powerhouse

Sorry, I forgot to mention the reason i want a netbook is the price, I'm limited to about $500.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Euphoracle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:36 pm   Post subject: RE:Looking for a Netbook Powerhouse

You can't get a powerful portable computer for $500.
rdrake

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:42 pm   Post subject: RE:Looking for a Netbook Powerhouse

Looks like the best you're going to be able to do is the ASUS Eee PC Seashell 1201N. It can do 1080p video and apparently has a battery life of over 5 hours. Couple of bucks over your budget, but whatever.
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:30 am   Post subject: RE:Looking for a Netbook Powerhouse

You want a powerful laptop that's cheap?

You can likely find something more powerful than a netbook in your budget. You can likely find something, but quality will be lacking.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:30 am   Post subject: RE:Looking for a Netbook Powerhouse

Are you sure you wouldn't be better off waiting till you have a few hundred more dollars and buying something you will be truly satisfied with?
chrisbrown

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:40 am   Post subject: RE:Looking for a Netbook Powerhouse

Thanks for the suggestions. After thinking about it, I realize all I want it for is to remote into my home pc (which I spent way too much money on) so I will probably end up going for the cheapest thing I can find.

@wtd: Thanks, but I would rather carve notes into my hand than use an HP laptop.
btiffin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:18 pm   Post subject: RE:Looking for a Netbook Powerhouse

Visit a few refurb shops. I scored (not super nice, but good enough is good enough) a sub $200 Aspire. I had to ask and wait before a GNU/Linux based machine was refurbished.

And really, good enough is good enough. It's not a main machine, but, along with a USB stick, gets work done.

Cheers
Euphoracle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:50 pm   Post subject: RE:Looking for a Netbook Powerhouse

Or dropbox. Dropbox is awesome. I use it to sync my notes/projects between computers.

https://www.dropbox.com/
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 21 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: