Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Best Browser?
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Which browser do you prefer?
(No ending time set)
Firefox
65%
 65%  [ 21 ]
Safari
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
Opera
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
IE (no one shoot me please)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Chrome
15%
 15%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 32

gianni

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:49 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Best Browser?

Dan @ Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:27 pm wrote:
I also am not a fan of webkit witch Chrome and Safari use.

Why?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:36 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Best Browser?

Amailer @ 4th August 2009, 5:06 pm wrote:
Can't do without them. (firebug, web dev, scale, color pick Very Happy and yeah ad block...er...which i assure you is disabled on compsci Rolling Eyes)

You are free to block ads here, i have ad block plus on some of my computers and am to lazy to turn it off for compsci.ca. As i see it, if you use ad block plus your not clicking ads any way. What i hate are websites that stop working when you block there ads for no good reason or try to work around ad block plus.

TheGuardian001 wrote:

Well, If you really wanted to get chrome you could just build it from source. Although that seems like a lot of work just to get a browser.

Most of my applications on linux are complied from source (i use gentoo) however to my knowalge there is no offical realses for linux and most of the ones to date are not very stable. If i am wrong let me know as i would like to try it.

gianni wrote:

Dan @ Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:27 pm wrote:
I also am not a fan of webkit witch Chrome and Safari use.

Why?

I am still mad about it screwing up the file upload standard and breaking support for dwite. Tho yes i know the issue has been fixed in the new Rails and there are patchs to fix it but i still don't think Rails should have needed to make a work around.

Beyond that i am ok with webkit but i don't like Chrome for other reasons (no offical linux support, no add ons, i don't like the UI, and worried about privacy issues), as for Safari i don't own an apple computer (reasons for witch would be for another topic).

I do have Konquer on most of my linux desktops witch i blive is webkit based and not to bad as a file manager but i have had issues with how associating an html file with an editor can break the web browsing (it trys to open web pages in the editor rather then it's browser).
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
DtY

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:17 pm   Post subject: RE:Best Browser?

I don't block ads because they kinda pay for the websites. It's like time shifting TV and skipping commercials (Which I do anyway, but the TV shows aren't making less money because I'm not seeing the ads)
Zren

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:01 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Best Browser?

Dan @ Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:36 pm wrote:
i don't like the UI,

Firefox is actually toying around with some of the elements that make up chrome. Though it'll have more of a glassy feel.
http://lifehacker.com/5324095/first-look-at-firefox-40-design-mockups
ecookman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:06 pm   Post subject: RE:Best Browser?

I like firefox

fast
simple
looks good on default
intuitive.
revangrey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:05 am   Post subject: Re: Best Browser?

Quote:
Also,

http://compsci.ca/v3/viewtopic.php?t=18768148

http://compsci.ca/v3/viewtopic.php?t=18291149

http://compsci.ca/v3/viewtopic.php?t=6048150

Just a few of the many identical threads. Felt like putting it out there, this topic's been done to death.

Sorry about that, I actually looked around for similar threads but I couldn't find any (that search thing is horrible...).

Thanks for adding chrome rdrake.

After getting conflicting reports on all the browsers in the poll I ended up downloading them all.

Chrome- good for opening up windows when I click on links that people send me over msn (youtube etc.)
Opera- would be good if I used torrents
FIREFOX- still my favorite but no longer default browser
IE- what can I say? I don't hate it but it's pretty useless
Safari- <--- I hate this

And for anyone who wonders why I hate safari it is because:
1. It doesn't scroll for me
2. Apple crap all over home page
3. Nothing special about it.
4. It irritates me on a subconscious level, or some combination of all the above.
apomb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:25 am   Post subject: RE:Best Browser?

Quote:
Opera- would be good if I used torrents

could you explain this?
rar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:10 am   Post subject: RE:Best Browser?

Opera has a built in torrent utility. It's useful but I still prefer utorrent.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
endless

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:05 pm   Post subject: RE:Best Browser?

new chrome beta, claimed 30% faster.
i've got to hand it to google, they have a nice browser, if only the current beta was for mac too.
Horus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:28 pm   Post subject: RE:Best Browser?

There's this other browser called Maxthon, highest rated browser in China, and 2nd highest downloaded browser (#1 was IE >.>)

http://www.maxthon.com/
apomb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:36 pm   Post subject: RE:Best Browser?

im a vuze guy, and transmission user in Linux. is that opera's only defining feature?
gianni

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:45 pm   Post subject: Re: Best Browser?

Dan wrote:

I am still mad about it screwing up the file upload standard and breaking support for dwite. Tho yes i know the issue has been fixed in the new Rails and there are patchs to fix it but i still don't think Rails should have needed to make a work around.

Beyond that i am ok with webkit but i don't like Chrome for other reasons (no offical linux support, no add ons, i don't like the UI, and worried about privacy issues), as for Safari i don't own an apple computer (reasons for witch would be for another topic).

I do have Konquer on most of my linux desktops witch i blive is webkit based and not to bad as a file manager but i have had issues with how associating an html file with an editor can break the web browsing (it trys to open web pages in the editor rather then it's browser).

Are you referring to this bug? It seems that most of your issues might be with the application shells (Chrome, Safari, Konqueror, &c...), and not WebKit itself. WebKit easily takes the cake as the best HTML rendering engine currently available.

revangrey wrote:

Safari- <--- I hate this

And for anyone who wonders why I hate safari it is because:
1. It doesn't scroll for me
2. Apple crap all over home page
3. Nothing special about it.
4. It irritates me on a subconscious level, or some combination of all the above.

It seems like you have already chosen to dislike Safari for reasons unrelated to the quality of the software. The only legitimate reason you provided was that scrolling wasn't working for you. I would bet money that this issue isn't even related to Safari
revangrey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:12 pm   Post subject: Re: Best Browser?

Quote:
I would bet money that this issue isn't even related to Safari

maybe...maybe...

It might have been because I know people who were all like "WHOA SAFARI IS SOOOOO GOOD"

It was actually the only browser I heard anyone say anything good about, so it was a bit of a letdown.
I still have yet to see anything special about it although I freely admit that I used it far less than any of the other browsers I downloaded.

I'm really not a hater I just don't like being disappointed, no hard feelings Mr. Green

p.s. when I use it I get that supremely irritated feeling like a mosquito buzzing by your ear or something.
gianni

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:06 pm   Post subject: Re: Best Browser?

revangrey @ Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:12 pm wrote:
p.s. when I use it I get that supremely irritated feeling like a mosquito buzzing by your ear or something.

When I use IE my elbow hurts.

... WTF are you talking about!?
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:56 pm   Post subject: Re: Best Browser?

gianni @ 5th August 2009, 1:45 pm wrote:
Are you referring to this bug? It seems that most of your issues might be with the application shells (Chrome, Safari, Konqueror, &c...), and not WebKit itself. WebKit easily takes the cake as the best HTML rendering engine currently available.

No it's not that one, it had to do with it providing inconsistent content types (some times no content type at all) witch broke things in older versions of rails. And it was an issue in webkit as it effected all browsers using it.

As i mentioned before i have nothing in partical aginsted Safari as i can't realy use it, i just found the insoncsites in webkit's contet types for file uploads compared to other browsers anyoing.

Edit: Here is the changeset for rails where the missing content type was worked around: http://dev.rubyonrails.org/changeset/7005 It says it is for Safari 3 but i was able to reproduce it with chrome and konqueror.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 3  [ 38 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: