Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Does a framework like ROR degrade performance?
Index -> Programming, Ruby -> Ruby Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
lastlegion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:13 am   Post subject: Does a framework like ROR degrade performance?

Hey guys this is my first post here Mr. Green

I wanna know whether using a framework degrade the performance of a program. As far as I know a framework consists of the basic, most commonly used functions etc. So it must be performing poorer when compared to a program that is developed from the scratch.

Enlighten me Rolling Eyes
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:24 pm   Post subject: RE:Does a framework like ROR degrade performance?

If you build a program from scratch that does everything RoR does, then it will likely perform worse than a program written using RoR.

If you need to do something that doesn't make use of the functionality provided by RoR, then yes, you can probably make a program that's at least marginally faster.
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:57 pm   Post subject: RE:Does a framework like ROR degrade performance?

Yes frameworks do add overhead witch slows down your application (but it has nothing to do with them being coded poorly, most are coded rather well) however they also greatly simplufy the work and the code meaning that you would have more time to optimize the code with the framework and be done sooner then with out it.

It's much like how aseembely is faster then higher level langues but few poeleop code directly in it as it takes longer, is harder to debug and harder to express your code in a clear manner but with the higher level you get the overhead of everything the langue has that you don't use.

If you are planing on making a rather simple application it might make sence to not use a framework but for large projects you will likey be making one your self any way.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
rdrake

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:20 pm   Post subject: RE:Does a framework like ROR degrade performance?

If you just need a simple Rack-compatible framework for Ruby, be sure to check out something like Sinatra or Merb. Sinatra is dead simple but provides a ton of functionality.

Ruby:
get '/' do
    "42"
end
lastlegion

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:23 pm   Post subject: Re: Does a framework like ROR degrade performance?

ROR provieds lots of functionality. What if in my program only a few of the functionalities are used...then would the whole framework be loaded or just the part of the framework I am using.
I know Im a heck of a noob Neutral
   Index -> Programming, Ruby -> Ruby Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 5 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: