Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Requirement for Software Engineering at Waterloo
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
ssy

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:37 am   Post subject: Requirement for Software Engineering at Waterloo

I have been accepted into the Software Engineering program at Waterloo, but I have some questions.

On the website for prospective students, the following was listed under the requirements for acceptance into SE:
Other required documentation & notes
Admission Information Form; experience in developing well-structured, modular programs is required, as demonstrated by at least one of the following:
1. strong performance in a programming course such as Grade 11 or 12 Computer and Information Science or equivalent;
2. strong performance in a programming contest;
3. significant work experience;
4. other (must be explained on the Admission Information Form )

Now, I was accepted without filling out the AIF, and I was wondering if the requirement mentioned above is actually required? I have no background in programming whatsoever (except a quick dabble at VB), and have never taken a programming course in high school, but I would really like to get into this field. I am a fast learner and am confident that I will succeed in this program. In addition, my 12U average is 98.8% (including all the required courses for this program).

If anyone knows anything about this please let me know! Thanks!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
endless

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:08 am   Post subject: RE:Requirement for Software Engineering at Waterloo

well with an average of 98.8, i think they might make an exception for you. although if you filled out the AIF you probably would have gotten extra money from scholarships (if faculty of eng. is like math with entrance scholarships)
ssy

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:20 am   Post subject: Re: Requirement for Software Engineering at Waterloo

This is where it gets weird.

I also applied for computer science co-op at Waterloo, even filled out the AIF nice and early. But I got rejected for that and got an alternate offer for computer science regulars instead? I really don't understand how this works, I thought software engineering is harder to get in than computer science?
Prabhakar Ragde

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:47 am   Post subject: RE:Requirement for Software Engineering at Waterloo

SE is not necessarily harder to get into than CS. The ratio of applicants to spaces is pretty comparable in both programs.

If your average is really 98.8, you should have gotten into CS co-op, unless there were worries about your transcript or your school. You might give them a call and inquire about the reasons, if you still want to pursue it.

The introductory CS courses in SE will assume some prior background and move quickly.
qwerty123

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:00 pm   Post subject: Re: Requirement for Software Engineering at Waterloo

WOW ssy 98.8 Shocked Shocked

I just have a 86 and got in SE with a really good Aif.......

man there would be some stiff competition in sept...

If you dont mind me asking did u get this mark in a public school??
ssy

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:23 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Requirement for Software Engineering at Waterloo

Prabhakar Ragde @ Tue May 12, 2009 10:47 am wrote:
SE is not necessarily harder to get into than CS. The ratio of applicants to spaces is pretty comparable in both programs.

I thought SE is harder to get in, because the AIF for SE is a lot more in depth than CS, and also on eINFO, there is only 110 spots for SE and about 350 spots for CS (65 for regular and 285 for co-op). So does that mean more people apply for CS? Maybe I should go for CS instead?

qwerty123 - I might have good marks (yes obtained in a public school and I study my ass off), but I have no programming background whatsoever Embarassed
How did you satisfy the requirements I mentioned in the OP?
Prabhakar Ragde

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:03 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Requirement for Software Engineering at Waterloo

ssy @ Tue May 12, 2009 5:23 pm wrote:

I thought SE is harder to get in, because the AIF for SE is a lot more in depth than CS

And why should that conclusion follow from that fact? The AIF for SE is the one designed for Engineering; the AIF for CS is the one designed for Mathematics. There are definitely some Engineering programs that are a lot easier to get into than some Mathematics programs.

Quote:

and also on eINFO, there is only 110 spots for SE and about 350 spots for CS (65 for regular and 285 for co-op). So does that mean more people apply for CS?

The ratio of CS applications to SE applications is greater than 350/110. (I have the precise numbers, but I don't think I'm authorized to release them publicly yet, if ever.)

Quote:

Maybe I should go for CS instead?

You should study what you want to study. Don't choose a program because it's hardest to get into or because the most people apply to it.
ssy

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:23 pm   Post subject: Re: Requirement for Software Engineering at Waterloo

Prabhakar Ragde - Thank you for the reply! It seems like you are pretty knowledgeable concerning the programs in Waterloo, do you think I will succeed in SE or CS with no programming background? And back to my original question, will Waterloo even accept me if I have no programming background? And if I do choose to go into CS regular, can I switch into co-op later?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
qwerty123

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:36 pm   Post subject: Re: Requirement for Software Engineering at Waterloo

ssy, I took ICS3m in HS got a 90 in that...we studied Java there..
Prabhakar Ragde

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:58 pm   Post subject: Re: Requirement for Software Engineering at Waterloo

ssy @ Tue May 12, 2009 6:23 pm wrote:
do you think I will succeed in SE or CS with no programming background? And back to my original question, will Waterloo even accept me if I have no programming background? And if I do choose to go into CS regular, can I switch into co-op later?

Depends on you. CS does not require programming background but SE does. On the other hand, they have accepted you, so they feel you can manage it. It's a bit surprising that you want to study these subjects with no experience in them but that's up to you. You will not be the only person in these programs without programming experience.

Switching into co-op is dependent on how many spaces they have later, which is related to both the dropout rate and the number of jobs available. I wonder if they cut back on CS co-op offers because of the economic situation.
x30Jx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:52 pm   Post subject: Re: Requirement for Software Engineering at Waterloo

qwerty123 @ Tue May 12, 2009 6:36 pm wrote:
ssy, I took ICS3m in HS got a 90 in that...we studied Java there..

You got to do Java? You suck! I was stuck with Turing for the entire semester.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 11 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: