Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 J Monkey
Index -> General Programming
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
copthesaint

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:39 pm   Post subject: J Monkey

check it out :p, Im going to spend some time myself just playing with it, its freeware. This one is pretty cool since it reminds me of that website, Crazymonkeygames from when I was little XD
Anyone else play around with these kinds of engines? I would love if some people could share some of their favorite Engines with me, just so I can look at some different Engines.

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:17 am   Post subject: RE:J Monkey

I've used JMonkeyEngine before (and I'm currently working on a side project with it). Be aware that the documentation is considerably better for JME2 than for JME3, which is still in alpha.

There are tons of other graphics engines out there. A big one that seems to see a lot of use is Ogre3D, though there's also the Quake 1, 2 and 3 engines, which have been open-sourced and heavily modified by the communities.
copthesaint

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:53 am   Post subject: RE:J Monkey

Sucks.... My Crappy chipset on my labtop was supposed to be OpenGl 2.0 Compatible, however there was no driver update for my chip set cause toshiba hasnt release one! Sad I cant use J monkey after all... Since I can only use OpenGl 1.5
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:52 pm   Post subject: RE:J Monkey

Older versions of JMonkeyEngine (including JME2, I think) work just fine with OpenGL 1.0, so you should be able to run those, just not JME3 (which requires at least OpenGL 2.0).

Seriously though, who doesn't have OpenGL 2.0 now? nVidia cards have supported that since the 6000 series, which is now about 6 years old.
copthesaint

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:00 pm   Post subject: RE:J Monkey

I know... Its really stupid... I bought my labtop 2 years ago... and even my 5 year old tower has OpenGL 2.0....
copthesaint

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:31 am   Post subject: RE:J Monkey

Bump, I kinda stopped trying this since I had a major english assignment :p I have just started trying to set up JME2, however I am running into setup troubles and cant seem to get int running in Net beans. Can you help me out with this?
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:24 pm   Post subject: RE:J Monkey

I don't use NetBeans, so I couldn't say, but I would recommend looking at the documentation for setting JME2 up in NetBeans. There a lot of different ways to do it, so you'll have to choose one. In general, I would recommend using SVN to get the most recent updates to the engine. You may also have to compare your version of NetBeans to the listed versions.

Again, I wouldn't know. I live in Eclipse-land (and incidentally, helped to update their Wiki page for setting up in Eclipse a while back).

It's also worth noting that JME2 and JME3 are very different engines in terms of the code you write to interface with them. The change from JME2 to JME3 will be a little bit of a hurdle.

I might honestly recommend (assuming you have a desktop) upgrading your graphics card to something that understands modern graphics procedures. Again, this is assuming you're really interested and can spare the $40.
copthesaint

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:53 am   Post subject: RE:J Monkey

I am using Mobile Intel GMA 4500M, Unfortionatly Because I am using a toshiba, I cannot get the open gl 2.0 update!... Which intel have done for this driver... :/ Its kinda stupid to be honest... I dont have much knowledge of hard ware, but can I use a different chipset for my Toshiba Satellite L300? Or bring it in so some one who has more knowledge in this to get it updated? I am to be honest more interested in JME 3 then 2... However, I dont want to fork out 50$ just because toshiba is stupid... :/ I dont know... What are my options for this? I know obviously JME2 is an option, however there has to be a way to use JME3...
+ karma for helping me out so far Smile thanks

Sorry for responing so late :p I have a large course load for this semester...
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:59 pm   Post subject: RE:J Monkey

I've done some quick Googling and I can't figure out why you can't install the OpenGL 2 update. I haven't seen anything that says otherwise (and you'd think something like that would create a bit of a stir in the tech world). I assume you've tried downloading one of the drivers (see here) and installation failed somehow?

Have you tried applying BIOS updates from Toshiba?

Failing all of that, you should probably call Tech Support. Explain what you want clearly and concisely, and see what they can do for you.

I did find this thread which seems to suggest that JME3 may (eventually) have OpenGL 1 support through JOGL 1, but that's "far off" and "not certain".

Unfortunately, it's usually hard if not impossible to replace laptop components (with the exceptions of memory and hard disks, usually). The components are generally buried under layers of case supports, all of which are modelled carefully around the given components and won't fit others.
copthesaint

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:45 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:J Monkey

DemonWasp @ Mon Nov 29, 2010 wrote:
(and you'd think something like that would create a bit of a stir in the tech world)

Ohh, it has! I have literally spent 8 hours trying to get an update for open gl 2.0. I ave gone to Inet to download there update, then it says when I run the program that I have the newest driver update or the driver isnt of the right type for the upgrade. So I go to Toshiba, I find an update, *Woot* I click it install ect ect, It only updates my Chipset Type, doesnt update it to Opengl 2.0, So Im like ok... maybe theres another update? Nope. No update has been realised for opengl 2. So Then! I go searching forums to see maybe what others did, I see literally about 1000+ topics saying how do I get openGl 2.0 for my toshiba Satellite ect ect. EVERY forum points to toshiba's website so I go there again, still no update found. I then look to see if the person responds back, however where ever I go no one ever says that they got it working! Its bs. I then found one site where they posted a link for the open Gl 2.0 driver update for toshiba satellite computers that the post claims intet has. The link 404ed... I go back to intel search AGAIN for the driver update. Still cant install, still do not have the driver. I think to myself then, Well maybe I need to update my version of bios... I get the newest version of bios then try to une the installer from intel... DOESNT WORK! At that point I have spent the entire day looking for a stupid driver update and I give up.

I have tried and tried and tried and the only thing its done is waste my F***** time, that and I had to reformate my computer cause after the updates, my baterry life went from 1 and 1/2 hours to 20 min! -_-. RAGE! lol
mirhagk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:14 pm   Post subject: RE:J Monkey

checked this out recently, looks pretty good. wish I knew java lol. Always tried to learn, but since there is no standard i never got past the "how do I get it" stage. I've read and understood the code, just never programmed it.
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:35 am   Post subject: RE:J Monkey

cop: I really don't know what more can be done for your laptop then. It's an outdated relic that isn't going to be playing with the younger kids anymore. You can either develop on your desktop (which you say has OpenGL 2.0 support) or develop using JME2 (keep in mind, JME3 is still in alpha too, so it's a moving target). There's not a whole lot you can do to make your graphics card be something it isn't.

mirhagk: Not only is there a standard for Java, it's one of the most heavily-standardized languages ever conceived. The JVM is one of the most stationary target platforms to write for, as it behaves (almost entirely) the same on each platform it runs on, regardless of bits per int, byte order, or operating system. The bits that aren't the same are (generally) there by design and well-documented.

If you want to learn Java (and it isn't particularly hard), go read the SUN (well, Oracle) guide at: http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/
copthesaint

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:59 pm   Post subject: RE:J Monkey

My computer was new 2 years ago. Open Gl 2.0 isnt much to ask for. Intel themselves say it is supported

"---Graphics
OpenGL* compatibility

The integrated graphics controller of the Intel? G45/G43/G41/Q43/Q45 Express Chipsets and Mobile Intel? 4 Series Express Chipset Family supports hardware acceleration for OpenGL* applications in 16-bit and 32-bit color depths. The latest Intel? Graphics Media Accelerator drivers provide support for the OpenGL version 2.0.

For optimal performance of OpenGL* applications, exit any background application or program running in Windows*.---"

:/ going to spend more time looking for the updates...
ProgrammingFun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:33 pm   Post subject: RE:J Monkey

I believe the Unreal Engine was also open-sourced for non-commercial use...
copthesaint

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:04 pm   Post subject: RE:J Monkey

I dont just want Open gl for just Jmonkey too, I have always been wanting it for some of the games I cant play on my labtop without opengl 2, I just havnt bothered until now.
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 18 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: