Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Help with Apache
Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
mirhagk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:29 am   Post subject: Help with Apache

Okay so I downloaded and installed it (on windows vista in case your wondering) and I managed to view documents through localhost, but i can't seem to use my ip address, or the dns name i registered for.

mirhagk.dyndns.org (a free one of course). I linked the dns name to my current ip address, which im running the server on.

Whenever I go to the ip address or the dns name it times out, it only works with localhost. I didn't really change any apache options other than documentroot (since vista doesn't let applications edit files in the program files section).

I don't really care about super advanced options, I just want to use my computer to host websites, and possibly a php server soon.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rdrake

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:57 pm   Post subject: RE:Help with Apache

Are you behind a router? If so, open port 80 to your local machine on the network.
Amailer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:04 pm   Post subject: RE:Help with Apache

Visit http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ and click the "Check" button to check if port 80 is opened.

Also make sure Windows Firewall is not blocking port 80 (http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Customizing-Windows-Firewall.html)
mirhagk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:51 pm   Post subject: RE:Help with Apache

if it's closed what do i do
DtY

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:54 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Help with Apache

mirhagk @ Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:51 pm wrote:
if it's closed what do i do
You will have to make your router forward the port to your computer, the process for this will differ depending on the brand and model you have, look through the manual. You will also need to make sure that any firewall on your computer is not blocking incoming access to port 80. If it does not work at this point, your ISP is probably blocking incoming connections on low ports, so you'll have to choose a different port.

Also, you probably don't want to be running a public http server on your home computer, or even on a home Internet connection. I'd suggest opting for cheap to free web hosting.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:03 pm   Post subject: RE:Help with Apache

i know, i just wanna try it out, see if i can get it to work, btw do you know of any really good free web hosting sites. I just use 007sites and 55fast, but they don't allow certain server things to run, like a java server application. Also I think it's norton that's blocking it, cuz windows firewall is off.

Edit: I think my isp is blocking port 80, I got my router to redirect port 8888 to port 80 on my computer. But now how do I access it?
rdrake

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:34 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Help with Apache

mirhagk @ Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:03 pm wrote:
Edit: I think my isp is blocking port 80, I got my router to redirect port 8888 to port 80 on my computer. But now how do I access it?
http://<yourip>:8888?
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:44 am   Post subject: Re: RE:Help with Apache

mirhagk @ 4th December 2010, 10:03 pm wrote:
I just use 007sites and 55fast, but they don't allow certain server things to run, like a java server application.

By "java server application" do you mean a custom server you made in java or do you mean a java servlet or JavaServer Pages application?
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
mirhagk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:10 am   Post subject: Re: RE:Help with Apache

Dan @ Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:44 am wrote:
By "java server application" do you mean a custom server you made in java or do you mean a java servlet or JavaServer Pages application?

The latter. Obviously a custom server application could just run on my machine, no problem, and I doubt any web hosters would allow it. A java servlet, I couldn't find any free ones that could host them.
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:23 pm   Post subject: RE:Help with Apache

VPS and deadicated hosting providers will noramly let you run anything as long as it does not violilate the law in there area or break thier network. However they are expensive options.

Amazon AWS also lets you run just about anything and you only pay for the resources you use, which maybe a good option if this is just a tempoary or small project. I blive they also have a bunch of free time as part of a deal they have going on for new customers.

As for shared hosting with javaservlets a quick google search shows some cheap options options: https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=java+servlet+hosting
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
mirhagk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:43 pm   Post subject: RE:Help with Apache

but the thing is, is i don't want cheap, i want free, i don't care if they put massive advertising on the site, that's k. But i need free, i don't have a credit card, and kinda don't wanna spend money on something that I'm only going to use to experiment.
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:15 am   Post subject: RE:Help with Apache

Well you can get free micro instances on AWS for a year. However you do still need to give them your credit card, even tho they will not charge it.

Beyond that you will probably have to set up your own box.

You may want to try turing off all your firewalls, Windows, Norton, and the firewall on your router and see if it works, then turn them back on one at a time to see which is blocking it. You could also list your box as the DMZ for the network (assuming the issue is with your router).

Finally if it will just be you access it, you could set up a VPN for your home network.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:00 pm   Post subject: RE:Help with Apache

okay so i got microsoft visual web studio, and it's beautiful, but I just don't know how to get a site that can host it (for free?) And whether I can set it up at home. I don't think 55fast works, cuz it keeps redirecting to some random site instead of loading the page.

Edit: found one http://aspspider.com It allows 90 days of educational use, with no credit card numbers or anything taken.
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 13 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: