Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 PC's Or Mac's Poll
Index -> CompSci.ca, General Discussion -> Featured Poll
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

PC's or MAC's
(No ending time set)
PC
75%
 75%  [ 31 ]
MAC
24%
 24%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 41

ecookman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:42 pm   Post subject: RE:PC\'s Or Mac\'s Poll

good arguments

i am looking forward to see who is right in this battle

i think i know the winner
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
btiffin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:47 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:PC\'s Or Mac\'s Poll

Jack140 @ Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:05 am wrote:
btiffin @ Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:26 pm wrote:
Not going to vote. Prefer both. Depends on what is in front of me, and either beats neither.

Cheers

I could of put the "both" option, but I wanted to see what you people really like... I agree that sometimes its hard to judge whether one type is better than the other. In reality, there will always be one that is potentially "preferable" than another one.

Sorry Jack140. I guess that "Not going to vote" sounded kind of harsh. I should have put in a smiley. Smile I still have no preference. A personal computer is a personal computer. Both architectures have things that annoy me, both have strengths I admire. If I was making a movie, I'd probably want an Apple machine in front of me. If I had to calculate how much time I just wasted having fun typing this, I'd probably want a "PC". Seeing as I waste more time than I spend making movies, I'm usually using a descendant of the IBM/PC brand with Debian GNU/Linux.

I didn't mean to disrespect your poll, it is a valid question.

And as far as I know, the best selling personal computer ever is still the Commodore 64. Wink

Cheers
isaiahk9

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:47 pm   Post subject: RE:PC\'s Or Mac\'s Poll

Yes I've seen a Mac, although never a Macbook Air. Excuse my ignorance, I was incorrect.

Despite its lack of a CD tray, durability, large hard-drive, great video-card, any awe-inspiring things except for size, my opinion has just shot up with the knowledge that it has a USB port.

. . . but then again, it would be hard for it to go down.
Insectoid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:48 pm   Post subject: RE:PC\'s Or Mac\'s Poll

There is no right. It is a group of people sharing opinions, pointing out the pros and cons of each OS. It is very hard to change somebody's preference of system with words. Only by showing them can you really change minds.
ecookman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:52 pm   Post subject: RE:PC\'s Or Mac\'s Poll

yes sorry i said it wrong

i should have said

i wonder who will give up first
isaiahk9

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:53 pm   Post subject: RE:PC\'s Or Mac\'s Poll

I agree. I think I mentioned before, that we all are entitled to our opinion.

. . . that doesn't mean that I'll care about yours though.

So, to sum it up : If you like macs, go with macs. If you like PC, go with PC. If you like windows, Linux, Vista, go with that.

Just don't come crying back to us.
ecookman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:54 pm   Post subject: RE:PC\'s Or Mac\'s Poll

well said i am done with this
gianni

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:16 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:PC\'s Or Mac\'s Poll

isaiahk9 @ Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:36 pm wrote:
@gianni : Okay, if you really wanted to bring this to a real argument :
First of all, I never actually made claims of differentiating technology. I made claims based off the ideas of awkward (not incompatible, but awkward) file types (which is compatibility).
For an example : the top ten computer games of 2008, only two of them could be accessed by macs (originally). What more are you asking as proof for compatible? Sure, its not incompatible. But the file transfer it takes is an extra step. Some programs can't even be transferred (which is why on gaming sites, there are separate sections for PC and Mac, as they are nearly (but not completely) exclusive).
What else are you looking for as something as proof for the compatibility claims?

Proof would be giving actual examples. So far you have mentioned transferring files (which files? what extra step?), playing various games (which games?), and the fact that not every program developed for PC is also available for Mac. I think that last bit is to be expected, and more often than naught one will find there is a better alternative available.

True, you can run windows on a Mac. But, had you read my post above, you would've said that I had agreed with Dan, and had just gotten side-tracked. As well, this would not negate my points :
Lets say we have person A and B. I say person A is healthy, and Person B has a fatal heart condition. Right?
What you're saying (where patient A represents windows, patient B represents mac) is that Person B is perfectly healthy because we can rip out the heart from Person A and perform a transplant.
Just because a thing can be fixed does not mean it isn't broken.
And, had you read above, I'd already covered this.

This analogy makes no sense and is overly dramatic for shock value. An appropriate analogy would be the difference between a gasoline-fueled car (PC) and a hybrid car (Mac). Also that last line, "Just because a thing can be fixed does not mean it isn't broken.", would ring true for most things that are broken.

I know there are Mac download sites. But had you looked carefully, you would've noticed that because there are fewer Mac users than PC (notice the poll in this thread), there are fewer downloads. As such, many programs available for PC originally are not available for Mac.
And, if they all were, this would relate to my patient/doctor metaphor above.

I'm actually relieved that we don't have the sheer volume of crappy, copy & pasted shareware available on Macs that you do on Windows. I did look carefully and you didn't originally say anything about the amount of applications available for download, you said that you couldn't visit a website and download a game demo...

You claim of me having unsupported claims - yet you airily say "The mac community is known for its indie dev houses that create some of the best and most popular software titles available". Care to name some?

No problem, there is a plethora of quality Mac software available. Let's take a look at some of my favourites: TextMate, Coda, Quicksilver, DrawIt, and Things. All of those apps are from indie dev shops, all of them are extremely popular and high quality, most of them created by only 1 person, none of them run on Windows. The list could go on for a while, but I thought I'd only highlight my favourites.

On a side-note, the Macbook air is ultra-light/ultra portable, but I personally believe it has been brought to a point of foolishness. So what if the Macbook air can fit in an envelope, if I can't access USB ports (which is almost all computer add-ons nowadays), or CDs?

It does have a USB port, and it can use an optical drive (both remotely hosted and external). Personally, I can't even recall the last time I used my optical drive. Many other ultraportables don't include optical drives either, it's an easily justifiable sacrifice for both weight and size.

It seems that you're making the classic mistake of choosing quantity over quality. So far, the only truly valid point you have is the fact that there aren't as many Mac applications as there are Windows applications. This may be the case, but is it really a bad thing?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
ecookman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:18 pm   Post subject: RE:PC\'s Or Mac\'s Poll

... we ended this lol

i guarantee this is going to be locked or have the hell edited out of it

Mod: ecookman, please do not try to act as a moderator when you are not. The only reason i would lock this right now is the spamish type posts you are making for the sake of geting your post count up. This topic is still being debated in a civil mannar.
Insectoid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:24 pm   Post subject: RE:PC\'s Or Mac\'s Poll

YOU ended this, ecookman.

More points are still to be made, more debating to be done.
ecookman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:33 pm   Post subject: RE:PC\'s Or Mac\'s Poll

sorry for the edit it seamed as if this was going nowhere.
wasn't trying to act as a mod...just in experience when things like this would happen on my topics they would always ended up locked

and when isaiahk said

"So, to sum it up : If you like macs, go with macs. If you like PC, go with PC. If you like windows, Linux, Vista, go with that.

Just don't come crying back to us."

it seemed as if the whole discussion was over.

and for the record i don't care about how many posts i have. If you can, reduce my number of posts to 0 won't make a difference to me Smile (not trying to be a as* H*** but the number of posts someone has shows what.....how long they have been here??? to me they are the most irreverent thing to a forum.)
gianni

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:41 pm   Post subject: RE:PC\'s Or Mac\'s Poll

Regarding the commercials, although you (isaiahk9) may not appreciate them, Apple has arguably one of the best marketing departments in the world. In fact, one of the reasons (if not sole reason) that Apple has such a relatively large market share today (compared with 10 years ago) is the sheer ingenuity that is their marketing dept. Like it or not Apple is one of the most admired companies in North America.
isaiahk9

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:53 pm   Post subject: RE:PC\'s Or Mac\'s Poll

You want examples?
For instance (although this is with vista), .docx files need to go through a filter, in order to be readable to windows. Similarly is Mac to PC. The mac uses FileVault ? Optional encryption of the user's files with Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) (128-bit keys introduced in version 10.3, 256-bit keys on version 10.5). In order to translate these files, you need to find a Mac to PC filter. Don't ask for specific names, that would be the logical version of smashing your head against the wall.

For my doctor analogy, let me explain it again. The first person is perfectly normal. He is healthy. He is not diseased. He represents a PC. His healthiness represents the fact that he has a windows system.
The second person is not healthy. He is diseased. He represents a Mac. His disease represents the fact that he does not have a windows system. (because this entire argument ia bout putting windows software onto a Mac, the optimum state of being is Windows).
I say "Person A is healthy (Computer A is windows. It has met the objective). Person B is diseased (Computer B is Mac. It has not met the ojective).
You say "Person A is fine. But Person B is also fine, because with a little bit of work, and completely changing what they were in the first place, they can become healthy.
It's a flawed argument. If you wanted windows, you wouldn't put it on a Mac, you would get a PC.
And the fact that ""Just because a thing can be fixed does not mean it isn't broken.", would ring true for most things that are broken." is what I was getting at. You kinda missed it . . .

"I'm actually relieved that we don't have the sheer volume of crappy, copy & pasted shareware available on Macs that you do on Windows."
Now that's just . . . I'm trying to think of another word than stupid. That is an emotion charged, logic-less statement. It's a biased opinion with no backing.
Because there is no evidence, we must assume that Mac uploaders and PC uploaders are equal in their "Crappiness". Unless you can prove the fact that A) Mac users upload better files than PC users or B) That downloading has no (absolutely none) positive aspect, you have to admit that because there is bulk with PC, it is actually better in this case.
You're also implying that I was changing the topic. Not so. My ideas flowed - I introduced an opening example of how a game could not be downloaded, and then used this as a jump-start into the argument that Macs cannot download as much

Still not hitting the next point with me. You say it is widely known. I've never heard of those. Now before you call me sheltered, or other similar names, allow me to explain -
ask a Mac user of a windows applications. Undoubtedly they know of some. Indeed, many Mac applications are also Windows. Now, ask a windows user for a Mac application. . . . Nothing? They don't know anything about it? Mac's programs are sometimes copies of Windows. Almost never vice-versa. This simple test is a useful barometer of the population's knowledge of Mac applications versus windows applications. You may know them, but statistically more people know about Windows applications than Mac.

Yes, if you have been following this thread, you would've seen that I already apologized for my ignorance in the USB with a Mac.
But . . . you really think that a breakable lightweight computer is a worthy trade-off for a CD drive? You say 'external" - that means another piece of hardware is needed. See my patient metaphor above - that if you wanted a CD drive, don't hook it onto a CD-less computer, get a computer with a CD drive.
And you say giving up an optical drive is worth it? Besides downloading (which can collapse), all we have are CDs. How else would you install something? (Note : Don't pick at this sentence - of course you can get free trials, get it off external harddrives, etc. but majority of the ways can be traced back to a CD).

You claim I have made no valid points. I have made them as glaringly possible as I can. So let me put it this way :

That has gotta be the greatest debate I've had in more than a month. However, I realize we're not getting anywhere. You're a mac fanboy, who will slam your head into the wall against evidence with the simple thought "Mac's are good, everything else is not. Nothing can change this.". I am a windows/PC fan. I will fiercely argue (sometimes in a stupid position) to find what the best operating system/other thing is. I will not stop until I know. Basically, this will degrade into a virtual match of me saying yes and you saying no. So, how about this :
you and me each have three more replies. 3 replies, so not to let this drag on forever, to continue this argument. If one of us can convince the other, than coo dos to them. If not, we don't drag this thread out forever and just part with our separate opinions. What do you say?
isaiahk9

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:58 pm   Post subject: RE:PC\'s Or Mac\'s Poll

Oh, and as to your reply to my add : So what?

I'm sorry but you're flashing high-up politics saying "Mac is good".

But I can go right back at you with the conspiracy theory that North Americans are lazy, stupid people who will believe anything that sets off the right triggers - like what I mentioned before. The fact that a company can press these buttons does not mean they should.

This is pointless - you flash proof-less arguments at me, I flash proof-less arguments at you. Let's ignore this part of the argument (or it will dissolve to us just butting heads) and focus on the main one with the long reply I just wrote.

And funnily enough, Windows is even more respected.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:21 am   Post subject: Re: PC's Or Mac's Poll

I voted PCs, because, Macs suck! Razz

In my brief and possibly outdated opinion, what is traditionally called a 'PC' can give you just the same performance, durability, etc. as a Mac, often at a lower price. It's the same with most of Apple's products, including iDeviceGoesHere. Mostly it's just a matter of having to look harder for what you want and then the matter of 'style' (haha!). There was ever only one program I'd have liked to use that was Mac exclusive.

Disagree with me on any of that and I'll refer you to my first sentence in this post. Wink In the end though, I'm obviously fine with using a Mac, it's just that I'm never going to bother buying one.

Final thought, arguing about this is a colossal waste of time, realize that and you will be one step closer to enlightenment.
   Index -> CompSci.ca, General Discussion -> Featured Poll
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 4 of 7  [ 94 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: