Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 PC's Or Mac's Poll
Index -> CompSci.ca, General Discussion -> Featured Poll
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

PC's or MAC's
(No ending time set)
PC
75%
 75%  [ 31 ]
MAC
24%
 24%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 41

Jack140

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:30 am   Post subject: PC's Or Mac's Poll

Which type do you prefer?
PC or a Mac?

1. Vote
2. State your explanation (Optional)

I chose PC because I pretty much grew up with PC's, for my entire life...
I've never owned a Mac... One of the reasons I like PC's are its features...
I mainly use a PC for gaming.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
jbking

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:38 am   Post subject: RE:PC\'s Or Mac\'s Poll

I chose PC because I have spent 95% of my time with PCs and when I have had to use a Mac, it has been a major pain trying to learn how to do what I find simple in Windows even though I have gone through a few shifts in Windows server code from NT4.0 to 2000 to 2003 to Web Server 2008 in a virtual machine.

While Mac fanboys may claim that a Mac is easy to use, some of us advanced Windows users like where Windows put things like DNS settings, registry values, hosts file, event viewer, and other things in the Control Panel or Administrative tools that can be difficult if not awkward to change in a Mac the first few times.

I'm not saying Macs are evil, but the people who claim the "Easy to use" aren't likely doing the kind of stuff I've had to do.
Insectoid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:28 pm   Post subject: RE:PC\'s Or Mac\'s Poll

Quote:

One of the reasons I like PC's are its features

How can you say you like the features if you've never owned a mac? Mac's have some incredible features, with expose, spaces, time machine, the laptop trackpads (incredibly good trackpads). The terminal is nice, if you know the Unix commands (I love the 'kill' command, handy if you accidently code an infinite loop). Oh, and Viruses? As long as I know what I'm doing, and I use the decent built-in firewall, I have nothing to worry about. PCs? They're like rats, with the number of 'diseases' they carry.

*nearly* all system settings are in one spot, unlike system settings in Windows. Ad-hoc networks are a 2 click procedure, and under the rare circumstance that a program freezes, 'forcequit' will close it instantly. And they won't ask if you want to send an error report. Did a program crash (only happens when I'm doing things I shouldn't Razz), it asks if you wish to re-launch, or not (while telling you it crashed). The dock, while relatively useless, is a very nice feature that looks pretty damn cool.

jbking- If someone has spent 95% of their time with a mac, would they not have the same trouble finding those settings on a PC as someone trying to adjust to a mac? I know PC's about as well as a mac, and I've been on windows for my whole life, and only on mac for 3 months. (and I know quite a bit about PCs)

My last gripe: Why is it that a mac isn't a PC? PC stands for 'personal computer'. Last I checked, a mac was a personal computer. Hell, even a calculator, or cash register, could be referred to as a PC.

Can you guess who I voted for?

~Insectoid
HellblazerX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:01 pm   Post subject: RE:PC\'s Or Mac\'s Poll

I'm a gamer, 'nuff said.

And the reason macs aren't grouped with other PC's is because they don't want to be, like pompous jerks, but with something to actually back that up.
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:18 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:PC\'s Or Mac\'s Poll

jbking @ Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:38 am wrote:
Administrative tools that can be difficult if not awkward to change in a Mac the first few times.

You can't reasonably think that a Mac/Linux user coming to Windows for the first time will easily be able to locate all the system settings. The UI is different by design, and this difference goes both way. You might have gotten used to a certain way of getting things done, but for me Windows configurations are always hidden behind a maze of option panels and right-clicks.

HellblazerX @ Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:01 pm wrote:
I'm a gamer, 'nuff said.

Xbox360.

Just because you game, doesn't mean that you have to do everything else on the same OS, or even same machine.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
jernst

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:29 pm   Post subject: Re: PC's Or Mac's Poll

Used to buy pc's for the games, but lately I've been doing that on my 360 (as well as streaming video & audio to the tv through it). Lately I haven't been able to afford a new computer but I think I might try a mac. I saw a demo of some cool stuff you can do on them by some mac guys at school and they may have sold me on it Razz I can't really comment either way till then though
S_Grimm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:53 pm   Post subject: RE:PC\'s Or Mac\'s Poll

I am also a gamer. But, like my other topic, I've installed OS X on my computer to try it. I find that OS X has a cleaner gui, with better looks, but....

A lot of *computer* games coming out right now are only for Windows. Until the gaming industry makes it's games for mac, I'll vote pc (Assuming that pc is running XP not OS X)

edit: Forgot the word computer
ecookman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:11 am   Post subject: RE:PC\'s Or Mac\'s Poll

i perfer PC's because of their gaming potental and abilities...but i also like mac's for editing movies, music,cool apps,ect.

like AV i am a gamer so....i kinda have to go with PC's
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Parker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:23 am   Post subject: RE:PC\'s Or Mac\'s Poll

I use PCs all the time. I have only used a Mac once and never saw many of its advantages. I am so much more used to PCs so that is my choice.
md

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:35 am   Post subject: RE:PC\'s Or Mac\'s Poll

I use a PC. If you use a mac you use a PC. Especially now that Apple has gone to intel - there is no substantial difference between a Lenovo laptop and an Apple laptop.

A PC (despite those horrid adds) is a Personal Computer. As in, your own computer.
jernst

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:44 am   Post subject: Re: RE:PC\'s Or Mac\'s Poll

md @ Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:35 am wrote:
I use a PC. If you use a mac you use a PC. Especially now that Apple has gone to intel - there is no substantial difference between a Lenovo laptop and an Apple laptop.

A PC (despite those horrid adds) is a Personal Computer. As in, your own computer.

Thank you, thats what I always try to tell people as well...its aggravating hearing listening to fanboys who don't seem to understand that what they use is actually a pc as well. I imagine they were too afraid of getting sued if they called it like they should have and just said windows pcs in the commercials
Clayton

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:08 am   Post subject: RE:PC\'s Or Mac\'s Poll

But they specifically call out Vista multiple times in those commercials... hmmm Confused
jernst

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:44 am   Post subject: Re: PC's Or Mac's Poll

touche, I don't know why they decided to call them pcs most of the time in the commercial then Razz
Unforgiven

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:08 am   Post subject: RE:PC\'s Or Mac\'s Poll

I voted PC, because I run Linux and "PC Hardware" (all above assertions that Macs are PCs aside) is just cheaper.
btiffin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:26 pm   Post subject: RE:PC\'s Or Mac\'s Poll

Not going to vote. Prefer both. Depends on what is in front of me, and either beats neither.

Cheers
   Index -> CompSci.ca, General Discussion -> Featured Poll
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 7  [ 94 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: