Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 My computer randomly turns off when I play Starcraft.
Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Veladen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:56 pm   Post subject: My computer randomly turns off when I play Starcraft.

My computer randomly turns off when I play Starcraft. Sometimes I can't even turn it back on after and have to wait a few minutes, sometimes I can turn it on instantly. It never shuts off any other time except for when I play Starcraft. Does anyone know why it would do this? I've even left my case open to see if its overheating or something but it still shuts off randomly sometimes. I use a virtual drive to play starcraft, could that be it? Could anyone help me? Thanks.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:36 pm   Post subject: RE:My computer randomly turns off when I play Starcraft.

Personally I don't know, but you could give some useful information like your OS, hardware, and if you ever played StarCraft without experiencing this problem. If so, what did you change that 'broke' it?
Zren

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:39 pm   Post subject: Re: My computer randomly turns off when I play Starcraft.

Is your Starcraft legal? Are you playing Multiplayer? -----> LINK TO B.NET Forum concerning Patch 1.15

If it's legal:
What is your computer specs?
What app are you using for your virtual drive?
Veladen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:41 pm   Post subject: Re: My computer randomly turns off when I play Starcraft.

I have Windows xp home, amd athlon 64 6000+ dual core, 2 gig 800mhz ocz dual channel ram 250gig WD HDD asus 1650 pro x 512mb video card. I use power ISO as the virtual drive. It is a legal starcraft key, IDK if putting starcraft onto a virtual drive is illegal or not. I do not remember my computer shutting off from player starcraft from before. Yes it is on battle net.
Zren

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:59 pm   Post subject: Re: My computer randomly turns off when I play Starcraft.

Most pirates for Starcraft originate from people suing ISOs and simply using a virtual drive. Try burning the ISO to a CD to see if your getting the same response.

To escape this [possibly]:
Quote:
in case anyone hadn't figured it out, to escape the black screen crash which yes, i am getting regularly at the ends of games (no i don't hack, of course), just press windows key then press 'u' (for shutdown) you can now see the taskbar, then press escape to cancel shutdown then press the windows key again and you should be able to right click starcraft in the taskbar and close it. yeh i know its still a complete #@%$! but at least you don't need to restart your computer.
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:07 pm   Post subject: RE:My computer randomly turns off when I play Starcraft.

Moved to off topic as this has nothing to do with Computer Science, programming, or a computer or technoglical topic that effects any one but the oringal poster.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:29 pm   Post subject: RE:My computer randomly turns off when I play Starcraft.

Zren, the black screen crash at the end of games is different than his computer shutting down. The former is a known bug (or perhaps the result of an exploit) recently introduced, you can't really do anything about it. I would have thought they had patched it by now, since it's been quite a while since this first started showing up...

Oh and I use an ISO for StarCraft just fine (at least I did when I last played maybe a year ago), since swapping the CD between computers got pretty annoying. Of course you still need a legal key for multiplayer to work.
Insectoid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:17 pm   Post subject: RE:My computer randomly turns off when I play Starcraft.

My computer used to 'black out' when playing intensive games. Turns out it was crashing my lame integrated graphics controller. A quick $100 upgrade later, and everything was fine. Unfortunately, now we're crashing the lame integrated sound controller.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Mobius

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:31 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:My computer randomly turns off when I play Starcraft.

insectoid @ Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:17 pm wrote:
My computer used to 'black out' when playing intensive games. Turns out it was crashing my lame integrated graphics controller. A quick $100 upgrade later, and everything was fine. Unfortunately, now we're crashing the lame integrated sound controller.

but based on his specs, its more than enough to play SC, unless some of the parts are defective, maybe overheating?
Insectoid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:32 am   Post subject: RE:My computer randomly turns off when I play Starcraft.

One of my video cards melted once because its power cord wasn't plugged in (this was before my technological revelation). Fortunately, I got it replaced on warranty (it was the store that installed it...badly).
andrew.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:48 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:My computer randomly turns off when I play Starcraft.

insectoid @ Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:32 am wrote:
One of my video cards melted once because its power cord wasn't plugged in (this was before my technological revelation). Fortunately, I got it replaced on warranty (it was the store that installed it...badly).
That's why I don't trust stores with my computers. I buy the parts and build it myself.
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 11 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: