Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Anyone try CUIL?
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
btiffin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:04 am   Post subject: Anyone try CUIL?

I hadn't, but it made news as a big flop. Umm, I think the flop news may be just the ticket to not flop. It looks pretty cool. Cuil.

Cheers
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
jernst

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:15 am   Post subject: Re: Anyone try CUIL?

I tried it a bit when I first heard about it but it had some irritating problems. For any search that had multiple pages of results it seemed to break so that by the time you get past the first two or three pages it says it can't find any results. It indexes Also it put seemingly random pictures alongside the search results as well. I've gone back today and both problems seem to be fixed however. I also like how the results come up compared with google in multiple columns, makes it easier to browse through stuff without scrolling alot.
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:47 am   Post subject: RE:Anyone try CUIL?

WARNING: Cuil may random give NSFW results even when safe search is turned on!

As i have side to Tony, if i did not know better i would think this is a parody of a search engine.

Does poe's law apply to search engines?
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
jernst

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:10 am   Post subject: Re: RE:Anyone try CUIL?

Dan @ Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:47 am wrote:

As i have side to Tony, if i did not know better i would think this is a parody of a search engine.

haha Smile
Insectoid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:06 am   Post subject: RE:Anyone try CUIL?

Tried it just now. I like the tabs/related search/whatever, though I don't like how the entries are so freaking BIG! I fit 3-4 results on a line, and maybe 9 per page, whereas with google I can fit at least 20 (I've never bothered to find out exactly...)
octopi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:29 am   Post subject: Re: Anyone try CUIL?

I don't know what NSFW is but, I tried Cuil, and I searched for 'Cuil' on Cuil a couple days ago, and it came up with No results, so I was a little disappointed. However it appears to be self-aware now.
jernst

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:14 pm   Post subject: Re: Anyone try CUIL?

nsfw = not safe for work
Amailer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:13 pm   Post subject: RE:Anyone try CUIL?

Strange, I had searched for common words, and the word Cuil too a while back (when I read it on the news) and it kept saying No Results... so I thought it really sucked, I mean really really bad.

Looks good now though. Not a big fan of the Black, grey and white...
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rdrake

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:33 pm   Post subject: Re: Anyone try CUIL?

Neat idea, needs some work though.

Oh, try searching for "failure" on cuil.com. The second result was slightly unexpected Laughing.
btiffin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:50 pm   Post subject: RE:Anyone try CUIL?

After talking about cuil.com with a fellow rebol, got this link in response.

http://www.trueknowledge.com/technology/screenshots/

Point advertising technology. Just in case a compsci.ca member is looking for a lucrative career path. We may all hate you for it, but it could be a money maker. Smile

Cheers
Zeroth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:55 am   Post subject: Re: Anyone try CUIL?

I have a beta account of TrueKnowledge. I also have like... I think 8 invitations I can give out? If anyone wants them, let me know.
apomb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:20 pm   Post subject: RE:Anyone try CUIL?

what is TrueKnowledge?
and why would i want an account... convince me, and ill take one.
Zeroth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:25 pm   Post subject: Re: Anyone try CUIL?

well, its basically an engine that takes information associated with the words or phrases, and uses that to answer questions and searches. Its still abysmally slow, but interesting. If theres a piece of knowledge that the engine doesn't know, you however have to add it, and that can be extremely tedious and annoying. But its worth it to see your work helping others. I don't really use it much, as having to login for a search, vs ctrl+t, tab, type into the Firefox Google Search box, I'm done, is so much better.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 13 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: