Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Turing in C++
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
mirhagk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:11 am   Post subject: Turing in C++

I thought I'd put this in the Turing thread, since it affects Turing users the most.

I am currently in the process of making a class for c++ that lets you use all of Turing's functions, and create windows etc. I have some of the drawing commands done, I'll finish the rest of them today, and upload the code tonight. I just wanted to let you guys know, as well as ask some help from experienced c++ coders.

I can do almost all of Turings commands, and can even get like offscreenonly working and stuff like that. I'm going to reach a huge roadblock once I get to the Network commands. (I think I can get parrallel ports working easily, depends if I still have my code from computer engineering)

I also have no clue how to implement the picture class, so I'll need help with that (and the sprite class)
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Cezna

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:30 am   Post subject: RE:Turing in C++

Are you going to put in any of the stuff that was incomplete when Turing was droped by Holtsoft?

Such as the Mouse.Hide (think that was going to be the command line) function?
mirhagk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:16 am   Post subject: RE:Turing in C++

It will start off with just the stuff Turing has, and then I/we can advance it from there. The purpose for this is to change Turing code into C++ with relatively easy changes (how variables are declared, change put to put(), and move functions to outside of the main program)

It will be an easy process, one that could be automated by a computer if you catch my drift Wink
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:48 am   Post subject: Re: RE:Turing in C++

mirhagk @ Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:16 am wrote:
one that could be automated by a computer...

Perhaps by some sort of a compiler program...
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:51 pm   Post subject: RE:Turing in C++

or better yet, a simpler translator, letting me focus on adding features.

edit: sorry I haven't uploaded it yet, I was trying to get the colors to work right first. It draws with RGB right now, I want to use Turing color codes.

Speaking of which, can anyone tell me a way to find the RGB values for all the turing colors? Like instead of creating a turing program to ouput its whole color scheme and convert it to RGB values.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:27 pm   Post subject: RE:Turing in C++

so its been a while... well a long while, but I am still working on it, and *hopefully* tomorrow I will have something that will blow your mind holes. Like pray that everything works out, cuz if it does, Turing will never be the same. (like I'm not even kidding, you will be shocked).

I'm not gonna reveal too much right now, until everything is final, but itll be awesome
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:42 pm   Post subject: RE:Turing in C++

I am holding onto a solid object in anticipation. The demo will be available on my platform, right?
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Insectoid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:04 pm   Post subject: RE:Turing in C++

This sounds pretty cool. I hope it'll run on macs as well. I really don't like Turing's editor. I want to be able to run my stuff from the command line.

Tbh, I only want to see the basic stuff like graphics (lines, drawing pictures from files, etc)and string operations as well as some useful changes to the way Turing handles recursion and 'flexible' arrays.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
SNIPERDUDE

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:50 pm   Post subject: RE:Turing in C++

Awesome, can't wait to see it.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:07 pm   Post subject: RE:Turing in C++

k, I'm really sorry guys, I'm actually waiting on an email, and I'm literally praying like crazy that it comes soon, and with what I want.

Just so you know, here's my last email I got from Ric Holt.

"Hi Nathan:

You are welcome to make a script version of Turing... but don't underestimated the difficulty of the task.

For the record, I have a version of Turing that runs on Linux. Its generated code executes quite fast ... its compiler
transcribes Turing to C.

This compiler itself is written in Turing.
We also wrote a Unix implementation in Turing.

At one point I prototyped a pure interpreter version of Turing (written Turing), but it is
long sense lost.

Cheers
Ric Holt
"
yeah... So I emailed him back, like pretty much begging to see the code, or even just get the program, and hopefully I get it soon.

Cross compatable, super fast.
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:39 pm   Post subject: RE:Turing in C++

Well it wouldn't be fair to just post Dr. Holt's code as your own.

Last time Dan has spoken with Dr. Holt about open sourcing Turing, it seemed that the source code was "too embarrassing" (or something along such lines) for public consumption.
andrew.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:56 pm   Post subject: RE:Turing in C++

I was wondering, how do you write a compiler in Turing? Is that even possible? To me, it seems that Turing is limited in so many ways compared to "full-blown" languages like C++.
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:33 pm   Post subject: RE:Turing in C++

Turing (the language) is Turing-complete (the machine), and so Turing (the Mathematician) tells us that it is possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church%E2%80%93Turing_thesis

To make claims that Turing is missing critical features, you'd need to figure out how to write a compiler in C++ (from scratch, not by simply plugging a grammar into yacc)

Though to be fair, I believe that the bootstrapped version of the Turing compiler was written in Turing+

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_Plus
mirhagk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:30 am   Post subject: RE:Turing in C++

I would not try to pass it off as my own, and the thing I'm working on is a scripted version, not a compiler. (I want to be able to run Turing code on any device, particularly my iPod touch)
DtY

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:01 am   Post subject: Re: RE:Turing in C++

mirhagk @ Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:30 am wrote:
particularly my iPod touch)
You're going to want to stop using c++ then
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 4  [ 49 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: