Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 3D programmer - few questions
Index -> Student Life
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
snake02

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:18 am   Post subject: 3D programmer - few questions

Good afternoon,
i'm 20, and i wish to start studies to end up with a 3D programmer certificate, to later apply for a gaming studio.
Where in canada (montreal preferably) will i be able to follow such courses?

If no institutions offer that, i will take intensive C++ courses. But again, is there any institution offering C++ courses?

I speak english and french, so whatever the language is, i won't have any problem.
Thanks
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Aziz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:55 am   Post subject: RE:3D programmer - few questions

C++ isn't the only thing you need. You're looking at at least a few years of full time studies in an institude. Not sure of any schools near Montreal, but you should do a search for "canadian computer science schools". Also, Tony's blog has some articles on school reviews. University of Waterloo (in Waterloo, of course) is one of the biggest CS schools in Canada.
Bobrobyn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:57 am   Post subject: RE:3D programmer - few questions

The best way to become a 3D programmer is probably to get a double major in math (or even physics) and computer science Razz

I took a tour of Silicon Knights this past year. It seems to me that they expect a degree in Computer Science, or something similiar, along with interests outside of compsci. I'd say your best bet is to get a compsci degree with a minor in something you enjoy.

I don't really know anything about "certificates", so I can't help you there. I do know that colleges that offer programming usually teach you how to use the tools of the day, while at university they usually teach you enough that you could design the tools yourself -- or at the very least, be tool independant (be able to learn anything -- "It's just another language.").
Aziz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:22 am   Post subject: RE:3D programmer - few questions

Some of my college professors actually try to teach us in that way - language independent. It's just the college program is so f'ed up that no one has learned anything (they all teach different crap). I guess that's why the program is being redesigned. Though I doubt it will be any better after, it's still mostly the same profs, and all teach different things, most teach old stuff. Heh.
snake02

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:56 am   Post subject: Re: 3D programmer - few questions

Hello again, thank you for the quick replies.

Are there any "gaming institute" out there?
I mean instead of going to university for a BSc in GS, a gaming institute would be offering me exactly what i should expect in the future.

Just like Games Academy in Germany:
http://www.games-academy.de/
Aziz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:16 pm   Post subject: RE:3D programmer - few questions

I think there's one in BC, and one in Toronto. Game development (if your wanting to program) needs CS though.
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:39 pm   Post subject: RE:3D programmer - few questions

"Game Institutes" are like colleges specializing in hands-on game dev stuff. You are not going to get a degree. Not sure how much theory you will learn. Though you'll get a lot of practice implementing relevant concepts.

I'm not sure how receptive the industry is of such education. It seems like most higher-end positions require an actual degree.

Carleton University offers a CS degree with a minor in Game Development. Though I'm not sure what you mean by "3D programming"... is it 3D physics? 3D graphics?
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Vermette

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:46 pm   Post subject: RE:3D programmer - few questions

Algoma University offers a special "Master of Science (Computer Games Technology)" program on their campus in cooperation with the University of Albertay-Dundee in Scotland. I think you need to be coming out of a Bachelor's CS program to apply. http://mastersingaming.com/

For full-fledged game schools, there's DigiPen in BC (A Nintendo feeder school I believe), and Full Sail down in Florida. Those two come immediately to mind when you say "game school", and from my understanding they are both very expensive, intensive college-style schools that focus on offering a smattering of some CS concepts and lots of focus on current tools and Art design to produce programmers that are marketable as entry-level codemonkeys and artists in the industry. Useful if you're certain you want to be involved in making games for the rest of your life, but any change in careers means your skillset is limited.

I should mention that at my school (University of Windsor) a new specialization in Game Development is being implemented as a value-added within the Honours Bachelor CS stream. you can find some info here: http://www.cs.uwindsor.ca/download/1778/Gaming.pdf

edit: In support of what Tony says above, if you're serious about a career in game development you may want to consider a full University CS education. This is a portion of a letter from EA Games (the largest game studio in the world as I am sure you know) that a member of our cirriculum committee (disclosure: my M.Sc supervisor) posted to our forum back in 2005:

EA Games wrote:
Our Proposal

If you must put together a video game course/program, please place it after the students have finished their core education. Watering down their base education is a detriment to the students¿ future, and is not what we are looking for as a prospective employer.

Our industry is in a state of permanent flux: our technologies are not stable, and our practices are evolving. Five years from now, ten years from now, we will still be making games. What I can¿t tell you is how we will make them, what the team structure will be, or what our processes will look like.

In this context, we must prepare for the future by hiring people with solid generalist educations. Our software developers must be prepared to grow with the new challenges, they must be able to rapidly adopt new technologies, and they must be constantly evaluating their processes. If we at Electronic Arts, the largest and most successful company in the industry, are struggling to prepare our employees for the future, it is difficult to imagine that a narrowly focused education will prepare students adequately to become the leaders of our industry.

Team work, social skills, and a base set of skills is what will ensure success. Game builders of the future are not the game builders of today. Teach your students one skill, and they will be obsolete 5-10 years from now.
I implore you: rather than teaching our rapidly obsolescing processes, focus on the base underlying (hard) skills that will prepare your students for the future. Don¿t be seduced by the flash, teach the hard stuff, and your students will reap the benefits 10-30 years from now, wherever they may be.

As far as I know the advice in this letter was taken to heart and the program built is simply a flavour of the Core Honours program here.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
jeffgreco13

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:08 pm   Post subject: Re: 3D programmer - few questions

I'm from Sault Ste Marie, where Algoma University is and this program is a pretty solid one for graduate students. You need a degree in CS and pretty good marks to get in but its quite respectable.
apomb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:11 pm   Post subject: RE:3D programmer - few questions

re Jeff: its one of the only Masters in Gaming degrees in North America if i remember correctly
snake02

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:33 pm   Post subject: RE:3D programmer - few questions

Hello again, thanks once again for the replies. I'll therefore apply for a BSc in CS. Now i please wish to know where to apply. Many universities offer them, so which to select?
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:50 pm   Post subject: RE:3D programmer - few questions

The selection is an intersection between programs offered, you preferences for a university, your preference for the location of the university, and your ability to get accepted into the program.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
snake02

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:59 pm   Post subject: Re: 3D programmer - few questions

Montreal is the easiest for me, but i do not mind going a bit further.
Aziz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:54 am   Post subject: RE:3D programmer - few questions

Waterloo is viewed as the best Computer school in Canada afaik, but if you're determined you can go as far as you want. Computer Science isn't like medical science - you can learn it on your own. That's why I'm at the top of my class (and excel beyond) in my college course, when 80% of my class is struggling with basic concepts. It's because I've tought myself (with help of tutorials and Compsci.ca, of course)

Also, nobody really replied to Vermette, but that's a great post. Vermette, I'd like to talk with you about your experience at Windsor if you don't mind ... I'd like it if you met me in irc or PM'd me. Thanks Smile
snake02

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:36 pm   Post subject: Re: 3D programmer - few questions

Before going for a 4-year BSc in CS, i wish to take intensive C++ courses.
Now where in canada can i find such study centers that focus on coding/programming courses, in my case being C++?
In other words, not universities but specialized institutions that offer coding courses.

Note that it doesn't matter what language the course is given in, i speak english and french perfectly.

Thank again.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 17 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: