Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Totally New
Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Thorgram

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:13 pm   Post subject: Totally New

I need a lot of help with C++. I have done both Turing and Ready to Program with Java in school, but now I want to use C++. The problem is that I don't know where to start. Can anyone help? I have download Dev C++, but I have been told that it is not a good program for C++.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
michaelp

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:28 pm   Post subject: RE:Totally New

http://www.punbb-hosting.com/forums/programvillage/page.php?id=1

Those are some useful C++ links.
I recommend reading the book C++ A Dialog, bu Steve Heller. It's a great book, I'm currently reading it too. Smile
btiffin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:27 pm   Post subject: Re: Totally New

This may be poor advice, but I'd start with C then graduate to C++. Instead of difficult, C++ then looks like an easy way out of some grunt C coding. And I'm also a fan of D. C++ without some of the sharp edges.

Perhaps a visit to http://www.cprogramming.com/ and being an unfan of IDE's and GUI development the next step would be either a full fledged GNU/Linux install, or at the least, Cygwin. From there the GNU Compiler Collection. gcc, g++ and the binutils.

The GCC is an awesome free development environment imho, the swiss army chainsaw (to borrow a Perl expression) of computing. And for D there is a GCC frontend, gdc.

Best of skill (luck should not be part of a developers vocab) umm, unless your name is Apomb or Jeff and people's ratlike addiction to random reward, helps to pay the bills. Smile

Cheers
michaelp

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:35 pm   Post subject: RE:Totally New

Learn C so you learn C++?!?!? :O Surprised
I'm pretty sure that is frowned upon ( learning C if you already know you will learn C++ ) by most C++ developers/programmers, since you learn some bad habits of C when moving onto C++.
apomb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:47 pm   Post subject: RE:Totally New

um michaelp, sorry to have to say this, but your site lacks depth, why would you direct him to a site that has less content than the site he has intelligently chosen to seek help from?
michaelp

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:51 pm   Post subject: RE:Totally New

It's just one page...
At least there isn't "bad" content on the site. (I hope Razz )
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:00 pm   Post subject: RE:Totally New

Thorgram, you need to post specific questions, or no, we can't help you. Also, keep in mind that you'll need to show us code so we can get an idea of where you are in terms of understanding.

You'll have to be willing to let us tear that code to shreds and not take it personally, too.
md

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:20 pm   Post subject: RE:Totally New

md's method of learning C++: learn pascal, then C; and finally go "To hell with this" and start writing stuff that looks like C++ code. If it compiles, congrats! If not change as required.

In all actuallity there are quite a few good "learn C++" books out there. Just be sure to get one that doesn't teach an IDE and post here frequently if you have questions.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
nike52

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:02 pm   Post subject: Re: Totally New

If you need a book, I can recommend C++ How to Program, Fifth Edition. I've partly learned the c++ material from the book, and so far, It's not bad, no complaints. Well, , except one, sometimes the exercises in the books are boring and repetitive, that's when I like to use the c++ I learned for ccc problems http://cemc.uwaterloo.ca/ccc/past/previous_contests.shtml, which will exercise your problem solving skills/programming skills at the same time.

About devshed c++, it's a fine compiler, I use it myself. Just don't learn the IDE deeply, it's not worth it.
Thorgram

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:08 am   Post subject: Thanks

Thanks for the help guys. I decided to stick with Devshed and I bought "Sam teach yourself C++". Now I can do basic stuff like and hope to post my first game soon.
Rigby5

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:05 pm   Post subject: RE:Totally New

Md has a good point.

If you learn a strongly typed language like Pascale, and a weakly typed language like C, then you can easily learn almost any language.
C++ is a the least generic, so it does not carry over well into other languages or necessarily good programming practices.
So of the worst code I have ever seen was C++, because people did things without knowing why you should or shouldn't.
md

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:39 am   Post subject: Re: Totally New

Moderation
Stop posting in old threads. They have been settled, any input you have is no longer relevant. You have been told to stop repeatedly so stop
   Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 12 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: