Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 My sigs
Index -> Graphics and Design, Graphics -> The Showroom
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Weapon X

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 1:16 pm   Post subject: My sigs

hey all, here are some sigs i made in photoshop. enjoy.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 1:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

All are too bulky.
Weapon X

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 6:03 pm   Post subject: too bulky?

500 x 200 is too bulky? i thoght tht was the most used size cause most of the siggys are those size. wht size do u suggest?
Mazer

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 6:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I don't think it's just the size. It's about having an image in your signature at all. Suppose everyone has an image in their signature, 80kB let's say, and you've got 20 posts on a forum page. That's 1600kB someone has to download--and that's just the images.

Furthermore, some people like to have multiple images in their signature... I notice this alot on anime messageboards (nothing against anime, I just pulled that from the top of my head since some of your pictures use anime characters and I just finished catching up on Naruto manga before reading this). Combining that with the number of times that people have so little to say that the length of their post is only a tiny fraction of the length of their sig, well... it can get annoying.

On some boards they even ban having sig pics. Not here, but if you're throwing huge pictures in our faces you'll probably get some kind warning.

That said, some of the images don't seem to blend right. By that I mean, for example, the flames in the Mustang sig. I don't know about photoshop specifically, but couldn't you decrease the alpha for those black pixels?

Other than that, I don't really know what to say. I know that making pictures like these is very common in certain places, but I never understand how much of it is actual creation and how much of it is copying a picture of your favourite character and applying filters.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Mazer wrote:
I know that making pictures like these is very common in certain places, but I never understand how much of it is actual creation and how much of it is copying a picture of your favourite character and applying filters.

Not everyone is good at actual drawing, so I guess that's what they come up with. Me, I can't even make something decently nice with filters. The best I could come up with now...
or
You'll note the crapiness, though they're at least at a reasonable size. Can anyone make something good out of them? Smile
Weapon X

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 12:13 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Mazer wrote:
That said, some of the images don't seem to blend right. By that I mean, for example, the flames in the Mustang sig. I don't know about photoshop specifically, but couldn't you decrease the alpha for those black pixels?

Other than that, I don't really know what to say. I know that making pictures like these is very common in certain places, but I never understand how much of it is actual creation and how much of it is copying a picture of your favourite character and applying filters.

i agree with you on many of those things, the Roy Mustange picture was acutally my thrid picture that i made in photoshop, WeaponX and Suspectzero floppy being my first couple, using crappy tutorials i found on the net. but the ones afetr that, for me, were actually implementing a couple of filters to get a good end result. i also agree with gandalf that not everyone can draw; me personnaly, i get my friends to draw pics for me then i make them into 3d images. thts what i am good at. i am not really the creative type tht sits down and plans his whole signature. i just go with the flow Very Happy
Mazer

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 2:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Weapon X wrote:
i get my friends to draw pics for me then i make them into 3d images. thts what i am good at.

I demand pictures! Wink
wtd

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:25 am   Post subject: Re: too bulky?

Weapon X wrote:
500 x 200 is too bulky? i thoght tht was the most used size cause most of the siggys are those size. wht size do u suggest?

Shoot for around 66 pixels tall (max), if you're going to use images at all.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
md

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 12:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Images in sigs are annoying as hell (I adblock'm all). a sig is for a short peice of text; not a huge image that distracts and annoys.

If you really need an image in your sig then as wtd says 66 pixels is the max (though I think that too is high).
Palaflax

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:56 pm   Post subject: Re: too bulky?

Weapon X wrote:

400*100 is perfect for the base part.

If you want to make things that stick out it can go bigger than that. However yes, 500*200 is bulky.
Hendo

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:56 am   Post subject: RE:My sigs

I use 400x120
its a good size
Sean

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:05 am   Post subject: RE:My sigs

I suggest moving all sigs threads to this one, seeing as we now have two threads.
Nick

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 2:02 pm   Post subject: RE:My sigs

or people could not have rev'd a two year old post then we'd only have one current one Wink
Sean

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 2:56 pm   Post subject: RE:My sigs

That too.
   Index -> Graphics and Design, Graphics -> The Showroom
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 14 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: