Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Computer Science @ UofT: St. George
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
aevangel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:35 pm   Post subject: Computer Science @ UofT: St. George

Can anyone shed some light on what CS is like at UTSG? Smile Most of the threads here pertain to Waterloo.
Oh and I'm especially worried about the math courses MAT137 and MAT157.
I've read the Anti-Calendar and opinions from previous students in order to prepare myself,
but I'm just wondering if anyone who has taken either of the courses can tell me what I should do to make the HS to University math transition.

Lastly, anyone else having trouble getting in to the Waterloo frosh forums?
I enter my OUAC and UWID numbers correctly but it says that it doesn't match for some odd reason.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
jernst

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:59 am   Post subject: Re: Computer Science @ UofT: St. George

I just saw a talk at UofT yesterday by one of their faculty named Allan Borodin and he was a great speaker and gave a really interesting lecture. Also there was a huge turnout at it so it seems like the people at UoT are really active in the CompSci events at their own school which was kind of refreshing considering at most places I've been people just come to class and thats all. Anyways seems like a great place. The campus is huge and I don't like Toronto itself much though lol Razz

I don't know much about their courses because I haven't actually gone there, but I do have this advice concerning math, in case you have a similar experience to me. In high school I had like 80's and 90's in math so when I got to uni I figured I wouldn't have to worry about it much, but it ended up being much much harder than I expected and I just scraped by my first year. So just don't make the same mistake as me Razz
aevangel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:25 pm   Post subject: RE:Computer Science @ UofT: St. George

Yes, I've heard a plethora of students saying that university math is different from HS math-- but to what extent? How is it different/harder exactly...
Is it because you don't have the teacher holding your hand all the time, harder-ambiguous questions on the tests?

I'm contemplating whether or not to sign up for PUMP which is basically a summer program at UofT to ease in the math transition. I don't want to pay for it though $ Razz I'd rather earn money over the summer. So I'm thinking of just picking up a random Calculus textbook and self-teach in my spare time. hah Smile
jernst

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:49 pm   Post subject: Re: Computer Science @ UofT: St. George

I would say uni math is more abstract, and it comes at a faster pace. I suppose some of my trouble came because I had algebra profs who couldnt speak english that I could understand well at all and my calculus prof was teaching for her first time...but I also blame my over confidence too
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 4 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: