Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 ECOO Regional Contest
Index -> Contests
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
etkuo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:07 pm   Post subject: ECOO Regional Contest

The ECOO Regional Contest (Central Region) is on 1st May, which is in conflict with SIN Exam. Is there anyone who needs to write that contest too? Is it possible to postpone the contest for an hour?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
A.J

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:55 pm   Post subject: Re: ECOO Regional Contest

I asked Mr.McKenzie and he said that its too late to do anything about it.....
the people at my school are just skipping the SIN....oh well...
McKenzie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:54 am   Post subject: Re: ECOO Regional Contest

Unfortunately there reaches a point where it's just too late to move the contest. The biggest problem is the physical location. The Universities are generously letting us use rooms and doing a lot of set-up work. Once they have things arranged it is a pain for them to change it. When someone is bending over backwards for you the proper response is "thank you" not "farther."

Conflicts are very hard to avoid. The best I can do is try to find out all possible conflicts, pick a date that looks good and send it out there to see if anyone has a problem. Moving the date or even time at this point may help some, but it may just as easily create new conflicts. The best I can do is add SIN to the list of dates that I try to avoid for next year.
HeavenAgain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:29 pm   Post subject: RE:ECOO Regional Contest

Well, it kind of sucks to have this feeling, when you are good enough to go to 2nd round (or even 3rd round) and having a conflict and miss your chance.

Quote:
When someone is bending over backwards for you the proper response is "thank you" not "farther."
yes this is also very true. i appreciates the work that is put into this, but say, can't ECOO give out a notice letter or some kind for the student who are writing the SIN contest, and let them write the contest later/before the time? since the student will be with their computer science teacher, they will be under supervision, so why not?

oh on a side note, the biology contest is also on the may 1st, but is in the afternoon (from noon to 3?). some students also have that to worry about Confused just too much stuffs going on
McKenzie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:09 am   Post subject: Re: RE:ECOO Regional Contest

HeavenAgain @ Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:29 pm wrote:
i appreciates the work that is put into this, but say, can't ECOO give out a notice letter or some kind for the student who are writing the SIN contest, and let them write the contest later/before the time? since the student will be with their computer science teacher, they will be under supervision, so why not?

That's not a bad idea. Like I said, it's unreasonable to ask York or Western to move the date/time they gave us space, but you're right Waterloo might be OK with allowing you to write later as log as I confirm the names of who were competing. I'm out of town right now, but I'll e-mail the SIN guys when I get home tonight. They may be alright with making some workaround.
etkuo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:13 am   Post subject: RE:ECOO Regional Contest

any updates?
SJ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:06 pm   Post subject: RE:ECOO Regional Contest

the three teams from my school (2 guys teams 1 girl team) made it to round 2 but about 70% of us are going away on events mentioned above as well as a Chicago band trip...

we have already started looking for backups Sad
Nyrd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:20 pm   Post subject: RE:ECOO Regional Contest

Ouch. That sucks. What region is your school from?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
SJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:02 pm   Post subject: RE:ECOO Regional Contest

York Region District School Board from Central.

Anywho, facing woburn, ay jackson, and other good schools should be fun
McKenzie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:31 pm   Post subject: Re: ECOO Regional Contest

I just got word back from the SIN admin. They are OK with students writing the contest on May 2nd if they have a conflict. I will try to get this news out to all of the affected schools. I have to give credit to HeavenAgain for the idea, well done.
HeavenAgain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:08 pm   Post subject: RE:ECOO Regional Contest

Excellent news! Now my team can go without anything holding their backs! Really glad this worked out nicely. Thank you Mr. McKenzie!!
As to SJ, good luck! I will be seeing you at Central Wink

Also I have a question on the $70 fee, who pays for that money? I already see that my school is on the regional list, but just wondering who payed for it.
A.J

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:19 pm   Post subject: Re: ECOO Regional Contest

Regionals went well!!!

I just wanted to know what other people from this site made it through to the finals.
sven87

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:49 pm   Post subject: RE:ECOO Regional Contest

4th at regionals... that was such a frustrating contest.
A.J

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:14 pm   Post subject: Re: ECOO Regional Contest

which region did you participate in sven 87?
McKenzie

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:44 pm   Post subject: RE:ECOO Regional Contest

sven, what did you find frustrating about it?
   Index -> Contests
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 29 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: