Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Other than Waterloo?
Index -> Student Life
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
cavetroll

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:17 am   Post subject: Other than Waterloo?

I have an assignment for my careers class where I have to find 5 universities (or programs) that I would like to go. I know I want to go to Waterloo but I still need 4 others. I added U of T because I heard their program is good. My question is, besides Waterloo and U of T, what other schools are good for computer science?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
jernst

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:22 am   Post subject: Re: Other than Waterloo?

Do you want canadiam / ontario schools or are you including american schools too?
cavetroll

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:23 am   Post subject: RE:Other than Waterloo?

No, just Canadian schools. Sorry, I should have posted that.
jernst

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:28 am   Post subject: Re: Other than Waterloo?

MIT, UCLA, Carnegie Mellon are the ones I hear about in the states alot for comp sci. Actually I think Waterloo's nickname is MIT of the north. If your interested in anything else around here, I go to Guelph for Comp Sci and I've found it to be alot better than I expected. I also saw a talk on research out at Dalhousie University in Halifax and it seemed like a decent place also.
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:48 am   Post subject: RE:Other than Waterloo?

@jernst, you've got it wrong. MIT is nicknamed Waterloo of the south Laughing

Also, there are a few reviews on the /blog found as such. It's still a work in progress.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
jernst

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:04 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Other than Waterloo?

Tony @ Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:48 am wrote:
@jernst, you've got it wrong. MIT is nicknamed Waterloo of the south Laughing

Also, there are a few reviews on the /blog found as such. It's still a work in progress.

haha thats right, thanks for the correcton Razz
cavetroll

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:38 pm   Post subject: RE:Other than Waterloo?

Thanks for the posts. This will really help. Still hope I get into Waterloo though.
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:28 pm   Post subject: RE:Other than Waterloo?

Don't forget about lakehead, we might be small but we got lots of cool CS stuff like a VR lab, realy advaced class rooms and some supper computers!
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:58 pm   Post subject: RE:Other than Waterloo?

Also, Lakehead's bears eat Waterloo's geese for breakfast!
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
iluvchairs112

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:40 pm   Post subject: RE:Other than Waterloo?

Windsor's got a pretty good CS program
Nick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:50 pm   Post subject: RE:Other than Waterloo?

on the topic of Lakehead, how much would a 4 year admission be to CS? if you can could you provide an estimate on campus, off campus, and no residental please?
Robert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:09 pm   Post subject: RE:Other than Waterloo?

I've heard MacMaster has pretty good computer science / software engineering departments.

You might also want to look up the University of Calgary. There's a technology sector developing in Calgary, and I'm sure the Univeristy of Calgary has had some influence on that.

I also have a few cousins going to UOIT, which is a fairly new school. I don't know much about it, though.
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:23 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Other than Waterloo?

nick @ 21st March 2008, 1:50 pm wrote:
on the topic of Lakehead, how much would a 4 year admission be to CS? if you can could you provide an estimate on campus, off campus, and no residental please?

Including student union fees, and all the other fees unis tack on but noramly don't list in the amount on there website it cost $5,098.35 in tution for this year (note that tution goes up by a cerent % per year).

So for 4 years at that rate it is $20,393.4

The best rez (the apartments) is about $5,000 per year. The other rez styles are cheaper but require you to buy a meal plan (other then the town house style).

Books cost anywhere from $500 to $1000 per semester (tho it can be even cheaper if you get internation edtion text books and do not buy from the book store).

For comparsion, waterloo's tution for 1st year computer sci none co-op is $7,468 a year (acording to there website and not including hidden fees) and comes out to $29,872 for 4 years. (about $33,664.32 with hidden fees i blive).
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Nick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:03 pm   Post subject: RE:Other than Waterloo?

thanks Dan that's sounding like my best option so far since money is a problem, one more question though: on average how much would co-op take down the cost per year and how often would one work for co-op?
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:16 pm   Post subject: RE:Other than Waterloo?

Co-op is not the same for everybody.

First of all the expense -- at UW co-op comes with a ~$500 per term fee (but you get to use their job database and interview center).

You work for 6 terms, 4 months each. Assuming a starting rate of $16/hour with 40 hour weeks, you make about $11,000 per term. Of course there are expenses like income tax and cost of living during the work terms, but it's quite reasonable to have co-op cover all your expenses by the time you graduate.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 21 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: