Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 ECOO Contest 2008
Index -> Contests
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
McKenzie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:25 pm   Post subject: ECOO Contest 2008

Calendar Event: March 25, 2008 - April 6, 2008
Event type: Contest

As most of you know ECOO runs a programming competition every year that takes part in three stages; Boardwide, Regional and Provincial. If you want to compete, but are not sure how, look here: http://www.ecoo.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=27&Itemid=58
That will tell you if your board has a convener or not. If your board has a convener then ask your teacher if he has the details, if he doesn't then contact the convener by the e-mail on the chart.

If your board is not listed and you want it listed you need to find a convener, try asking your CS teacher, your math teachers, and if that fails talk to administration (VP, principal) then upper administration (they will often have Computer Coordinators who would be happy to convene a contest.)

The boardwide contest can be held anytime in the range March 25-April 6. Although each convener is free to use whatever questions they want and do whatever judging they like there is a standard package that is e-mailed to all conveners. Even if your board holds it's contest on March 25 DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE CONTEST until after April 6th. The flexible dates help ensure that each convener can pick the date that works best for them and their board.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
HeavenAgain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:14 pm   Post subject: RE:ECOO Contest 2008

So we just contact our board's convener to sign up? Because I can't seem to find a sign up page Embarassed

And this is a team contest right (if so, how many team members)? It's my school's first time, hopefully my teacher will agree to let us join Very Happy
McKenzie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:29 pm   Post subject: Re: ECOO Contest 2008

There is no sign-up page because each convener handles the sign-up however they like. At my board I contact all of the CS teachers tell them when and where the contest is being held, if they have a team they just e-mail me back and say whom to expect. Your board might be different. If I was you I would talk to my CS teacher first and see what he knows about the contest, but you can always e-mail the convener directly too.

Some basic rules:
1-4 people per team.
any language.
4 questions, points are given for how quickly they are done and number of test cases that work.
allowed 2 submissions per question.
1 book by the software creator.
Yukie.ai

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:44 pm   Post subject: RE:ECOO Contest 2008

O_o

i thought there was a limit to the # of teams each school could sign-up for

at least, that's what happened last year w/ TDSB.
HeavenAgain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:40 pm   Post subject: RE:ECOO Contest 2008

quick question, "points are given for how quickly they are done" the questions will be e-mailed to us(?), and answer I'm assuming we will have to e-mail them back... Is that how the first round work?
Yukie.ai

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:43 pm   Post subject: RE:ECOO Contest 2008

noo...

last year, it was during saturday

where everyone gathered @ this huge auditorium and did the questions

there are bizillion teachers around w/ usb sticks to collect answers whatnot...
McKenzie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:07 am   Post subject: Re: ECOO Contest 2008

Questions are not e-mailed to you, they are e-mailed to the convener. My point was most boards will use a common set of questions.

Rules clarification:
- Each board is only allowed a set number of teams in the regional competition, with at most 2 from any one school. The convener at your board is well within his/her rights to restrict the number of teams per school in the boardwide competition because of space concerns.
- There is a seperate allowance for all-female teams
- During the contest, your team is allowed one computer and one authorized book. The questions are marked on-the-spot by judges (usually teachers.) any typically a scoreboard is maintained so you can see how everyone is doing.
klopyrev

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:09 pm   Post subject: Re: ECOO Contest 2008

Well, the authorized book has to be a language manual. Algorithm books are not allowed.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
HeavenAgain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:31 pm   Post subject: RE:ECOO Contest 2008

oh another quick question, when is the deadline to sign up?
technograff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:34 pm   Post subject: RE:ECOO Contest 2008

2 days ago. My teacher got a call from them today, asking for a team, now or never.
HeavenAgain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:47 pm   Post subject: RE:ECOO Contest 2008

uh oh... any "special allowance" on the date for first timers? Smile
my school havn't talk to the convener yet, because my teacher was still deciding... but fellow students and i really want to join... so...
Mr. McKenzie? Razz
iluvchairs112

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:48 pm   Post subject: RE:ECOO Contest 2008

Oh no! We've had so many snow days, I haven't been in class since a week ago!! So I told my teacher I was interested last Wednesday but I haven't seen him since to confirm or get more info!
McKenzie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:21 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:ECOO Contest 2008

HeavenAgain @ Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:31 pm wrote:
when is the deadline to sign up?

There are two questions here. When is the deadline for a board to sign-up? I haven't set one, but obviously your board needs to sign up before you hold the boardwide competition. When is the deadline for your team to sign up for your boardwide competition? That is up to the convener in your board. In my board we have lots of extra room for teams so I would take a team if they showed up the day of and wanted to write. Your board might have a lot of teams which means a lot of organization. If it is the second question (as it looks like) contact the convener and beg him/her to let you in. I have no control over how they run their boardwide contest, and it's best that way. If it is the first question e-mail me ASAP so I can get the convener on the list so as many teams know who to talk to as possible.
iluvchairs112

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:55 pm   Post subject: RE:ECOO Contest 2008

One of the boards are holding their contest on Apr 15. Same day as the Euclid.
McKenzie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:10 pm   Post subject: Re: ECOO Contest 2008

Which board is having the contest outside the contest time (March 25-April 6) and on the day of a math contest?
   Index -> Contests
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 26 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: