Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Ccc 2008
Index -> Contests
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
zylum

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:44 pm   Post subject: Ccc 2008

Hey guys, I was hoping for someone to scan the problem set for this year so we can discuss solutions and such. If it's too early to post them for some reason, let me know as I'm not up to date with CCC news.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
StealthArcher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:44 pm   Post subject: RE:Ccc 2008

It's too early. Some places had snow days.
waleedalidogar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:26 am   Post subject: Re: Ccc 2008

So yes i did finish the ccc

i only got to finish uptill 3
perfectly but 4 and 5 were out of my reach

wat about others???
r691175002

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:11 am   Post subject: Re: Ccc 2008

Got up to S4 in 2:10 but couldn't even get a hold on S5/J5.
After giving up on S5 I made up some test cases and am moderately confident in my solutions.

Being my first contest I started panicking at S3. Because of that it took me an hour and three tries, which was extremely frustrating since I had done so many similar problems before.

Just for some comparison, 9 people at my school took the test, 3 Junior, 6 Senior. All three juniors made it to J3 and then got stumped, all other seniors made it to S2, and some may have gotten semi working solutions for S3. One senior gave up after looking at S3 and switched to the Junior test, getting to J3. We hadn't done anything remotely similar to algorithms/problem solving in class so I was essentially the only one with any preparation.

Just remember to keep it vague guys.
syntax_error

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:39 am   Post subject: RE:Ccc 2008

"Just remember to keep it vague guys"

how bout nothing; I am sure you are not dieing that badly to talk about it do hold yourself; time will come and Im sure pll will help you with full solutions. DO wait and be fair.

Any Mods want to lock this just in case someone doesn't wish to follow the rules and posts a "revealing" comment. Just my thoughts.
sparta

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:07 am   Post subject: RE:Ccc 2008

shh people. waiting till the 28th wont kill anyone.
Euphoracle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:58 am   Post subject: RE:Ccc 2008

I did up to J4 confidently, but J5 really threw me. I had it all working, but there was just 1 test case on the sheet and 1 that I thought of on my own that it wouldn't get right. I never would have thought that I forgot an expression that I later realized would solve those two correctly :\. Oh well.

J1->J4 I found easy, as stated; however I spent upwards 20 minutes trying to debug J4 only to realize that I had lost a lot of time, and the error was a mismatched less-than sign. What a waste :\

Who knows, perhaps if I didn't do that, I might have had enough time to finished the fifth.
fantasy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:08 pm   Post subject: Re: Ccc 2008

Well I got s1-s4, then had no time for s5

But after i got home i tried i realized i did s3 and s4 wrong =[
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Fusha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:12 pm   Post subject: Re: Ccc 2008

I did the junior contest, finished J1-J3, and J5, but one test case for J5 didn't work Confused

And was J5 the same question as S5? Cause I know J5 was in the senior contest too
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:24 pm   Post subject: RE:Ccc 2008

When I was writing CCC a few years back, last of Junior overlapped with first of Senior. So J4 and J5 would be S1 and S2.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
sparta

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:31 pm   Post subject: RE:Ccc 2008

i still can't understand why they had the same question for s5 and j5. Now i regret not even reading it over at the time cuz i thought s5 would be insanely hard >.>
Fusha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:48 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Ccc 2008

sparta @ Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:31 pm wrote:
i still can't understand why they had the same question for s5 and j5. Now i regret not even reading it over at the time cuz i thought s5 would be insanely hard >.>

That's what I thought. It's kind of weird.

And I heard a lot of people (seniors) didn't get S5, it was pretty tough.
Clayton

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:01 pm   Post subject: RE:Ccc 2008

Yes, S5 and J5 were the same question, the test cases for J5 were much less strenuous than those for S5 however.
stde

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:04 pm   Post subject: RE:Ccc 2008

i think this years senior sets are harder than last year since [mod edit]please don't mention which algorithms are required by each problem until we get the all clear that all schools have finished writing the contest [/mod edit]
for me, i felt s5 is easier than s4.
i counldnt think of any optimal solution for s4
anyone has idea on how to do s4?
whlue

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:45 pm   Post subject: RE:Ccc 2008

I got S1-S3 done pretty quickly, S4 threw me off for a while, after trying to figure out a ton of stuff about it which was wrong after an hour of pondering, but I figured out an answer for S4 which was blatantly obvious and only took me 10 minutes to write, and test. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to do S5 because of the hour or so wasted from pondering over S4.

I'll divulge my solutions for them I guess when we get the OK that we can start discussing it.
   Index -> Contests
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 9  [ 129 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: