Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Mac vs PC
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:22 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Mac vs PC

AznTiger @ Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:45 am wrote:
i personally find PCs easier to use

Perhaps you could be more specific about what you find easier about Windows, and what you find lacking in the Mac.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:28 am   Post subject: RE:Mac vs PC

I'd just like to point out that it's a 3 day job to completely re-install Windows and bring it to full function.

Day 1 -- clear HDD. Figure out why WinXP can't find the hard drive. Figure out the BIOS SATA settings to actually make it work (WinXP doesn't come with SATA drivers on install). Go through the installation process.

Day 2 -- download and install all the driver updates from IBM. Download and install all the updates from Microsoft.

Day 3 -- some drivers still don't work (wireless and audio are especially difficult). Troubleshoot.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
rdrake

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:16 am   Post subject: Re: RE:Mac vs PC

Tony @ Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:28 am wrote:
I'd just like to point out that it's a 3 day job to completely re-install Windows and bring it to full function.
Since when? I'm able to completely reinstall Windows (including all my required applications) in a day. Installing Visual Studio takes a while, but still nowhere near 3 days.
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:19 am   Post subject: RE:Mac vs PC

Well, I guess in my case "a day" would have only the time between dinner and midnight~ish available. Hours wise, it would all fit into a single 24 hour (well less than that) slot, if it was all continuous.

It would also depend on the machine. Some are better about their vendor drivers than others. It's just a horrible user experience when you finish the installation, but it's missing the drivers for the ethernet port, that you need to download all the missing drivers...
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
jernst

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:42 am   Post subject: Re: Mac vs PC

Whatever you do, don't buy an uber expensive gaming laptop and then spill soup on it. It's definitely a waste of far too much money Razz haha.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 3 of 3  [ 35 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: