Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Waterloo and Admission Averages
Index -> Student Life
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Prabhakar Ragde

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:02 pm   Post subject: Re: Waterloo and Admission Averages

Studying before the test in ways that will not permanently increase your skills or knowledge is foolish. In the case of a final exam, you may get the credit, but you will be underprepared for the next course. In the case of a midterm, it is a little like drinking a lot of water before going to see your doctor for a checkup so that you will "pass" your blood test. Midterms are supposed to expose weaknesses that you can fix before the final.

Gandalf: I'm not sure what the $1000s have to do with it. That money gives you the opportunity to learn. Are you under the impression that it entitles you to something more?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
McKenzie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:05 pm   Post subject: Re: Waterloo and Admission Averages

I'm not talking about getting the credit. I'm talking about the standard case of: you have a 90% average, you review all of your notes the day before the exam so you can keep the information fresh and get as high a mark as possible. I think it's just fine, not everyone agrees. Taking a spare in your final year of high school to focus on your other courses is also playing the game, but in my opinion, is also OK.
Prabhakar Ragde

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:51 pm   Post subject: Re: Waterloo and Admission Averages

I think the main effect of reviewing your notes the day before is psychological. You think you're prepared, you relax going into the exam, you think better. Of course that's assuming a decently-designed exam.

Taking that spare is also fine if you have the courses you need to move to the next level and you want to get more out of the courses you are taking, if by "more" you mean "more depth of knowledge" and not just "a better mark". On the other hand, deferring your hardest course (before your final year) in order to take it in summer school (because you know it's taught and graded in an easier fashion) is self-defeating.
PaulButler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:03 pm   Post subject: Re: Waterloo and Admission Averages

[sorry for helping to derail this conversation, but it's gotten quite interesting]

McKenzie @ Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:36 pm wrote:
Is it OK to study before tests?
I went to school with a guy who would never study before tests because it was gaming. You are artificially raising your knowledge before the test in a way that will not permanently increase your skill/knowledge.

I rarely study for tests or exams (now or in high school) for that very reason. When I do study, I never memorize, only attempt to better understand things or get some practice. I also ignore when teachers talk about the format or content for tests and exams; in fact, it frustrates me a little.

When it comes down to it, I just don't care about my marks. Even to me, those words invoke images of an deadbeat student who is apathetic about their education, but in fact the opposite is true. I don't need to use chasing higher marks as motivation to learn, the desire to know more is enough. It's not an attitude that will ever make me a straight-A student, but I don't care to be one.
iluvchairs112

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:40 pm   Post subject: RE:Waterloo and Admission Averages

If you study, you'll learn more and you'll have that knowledge.
I don't see a problem with a studying. It refreshes what is already there.
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:46 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Waterloo and Admission Averages

iluvchairs112 @ Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:40 pm wrote:
It refreshes what is already there.

That's the gaming part of it. The knowledge that you have of the subject is already _there_, so there is no need to study right before the exam. Refreshing the knowledge is artificial and very short-term.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
milton.ignites

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:14 pm   Post subject: Re: Waterloo and Admission Averages

Prabhakar Ragde @ Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:17 am wrote:
McKenzie @ Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:22 am wrote:

Paul, I mostly agree. I do think you NEED to play the game a bit in university. I mean, your top priority should be on taking courses that help you learn and grow. But I think you can afford to take one option a year that you can get an easy A in to help you focus on your core courses.

There is no need to do this. Your top priority should be on taking courses that help you learn and grow. Period. --PR

id take his advice.. actrually i HAVE to take his advice... PR is teaching me right now. (hides.... hopefully he doesnt read this and fail me! lol!)

jokingg PR is VERY nice prof, you shud try to get into his class if you ever come to loo. =)
ghostanime2001

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:34 pm   Post subject: RE:Waterloo and Admission Averages

Hello, I am a student at Albert Campbell C.I and I have a troubling question about university. The question is about my chances to get an acceptance from waterloo or in fact many universities I've applied for. Some of the universities I've applied for and their associated programs:

1. University of Waterloo - Honours Science (Regular)
2. University of Waterloo - Physical Sciences
3. University of Toronto St. George Campus - Physical and Mathematical Sciences
4. McMaster University - Physical Sciences 1
5. McMaster University - Environmental & Earth Sciences 1
6. University of Guelph - Biological Science
7. Ryerson University - Biology

These are my marks in highschool:
Biology - 86
Chemistry - 80
Calculus & Vectors - 66
English - 78
Multimedia/Web - 83
Exercise Science - 56
Advanced Functions - still have to find my other half of the report card XD LOL but i believe its 59 .... T_T

The above courses are all at the Grade 12 Academic Level.

Presently, I am doing co-op at Providence Healthcare. As a precaution, I realize the deadline date for university application was on January 14th but during the week i was in Paris, France so I could not apply.

Anyways my average from picking the top six grade 12 courses look like 74.8-75.3

DO I EVEN STAND A CHANCE FOR UNIVERSITY ???????????

This troubling question got me in a daze of confusion and uncertainty. By the way, ill tell everything honestly. Here I go. Last year my marks were on the brink of failing.. bio and chem were near 50's and 60's but this time my mark skyrocketed but even so will waterloo, UFT, mcmaster, or even more so ryerson accept me as a university student ? (I've completed my 40 hours community service already)

Give me a honest, full analysis. I worked hard and put my mind to these courses and this is all i can do. If i dont get accepted then i dont know if college would be good.. but even if i dont get accepted is it possible to get transferred from college to university ? I hope thats not a direction I would travel period!.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
CodeMonkey2000

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:50 pm   Post subject: RE:Waterloo and Admission Averages

You should be fine for anything in the science department. You defenately have a good chance of getting in for Honours in Science at UW. Try and get above 70 in advanced functions though. Don't worry about the 66 in calc.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 2  [ 24 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: