Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Whats next?
Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Jonny Tight Lips

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:20 am   Post subject: Whats next?

ok I can make the basic word game and everything but where do I go from here? Do I try graphics or what? Question
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
UBC_Wiskatos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 12:42 pm   Post subject: Re: Whats next?

Jonny Tight Lips wrote:
ok I can make the basic word game and everything but where do I go from here? Do I try graphics or what? Question

There's no one path you can take. C++ is a monster, and no man can slay it. I'd recommend working in Win32 Console Mode and making some more games, like perhaps Tic-Tac-Toe with AI. Only when you are fully satisfied with your knowledge of CV++ concepts, should you venture into Win32 and DirectX/OpenGL or GDI.
Jonny Tight Lips

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 1:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Win32 console? what is that and do I need anything special to use it?
Also what is openGL I may know some stuff about c++ but not this? Confused
And one more thing is there any basic totorials for it?
UBC_Wiskatos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:47 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Jonny Tight Lips wrote:
Win32 console? what is that and do I need anything special to use it?
Also what is openGL I may know some stuff about c++ but not this? Confused
And one more thing is there any basic totorials for it?

Well, you're already using the Win32 Console if you made the word game. Just keep on at it. If you need to ask what OpenGL is, you shouldn't use it.
Jonny Tight Lips

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:17 am   Post subject: (No subject)

So what is so important about Win32 if I'm allready using it. Why would I hav to venture into that? Wink Confused Question
UBC_Wiskatos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Jonny Tight Lips wrote:
So what is so important about Win32 if I'm allready using it. Why would I hav to venture into that? Wink Confused Question

The Win32 Console is just a console for outputting text (DOS-like, where you use cout and cin). Win32 refers to the OS environment. Venturing out into Win32, out of console, that is, and into the API is a major step up. There you have to get to terms with handles, callbacks, message queues, events, resource files, and so forth. You can't simply output text, you need to create a Window class, then get the handle to the Window, then access the GDI, or an appropriate label, and then modify them so they print text. It's quite different.
rizzix

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hey there!

go ahead. try a gui framework. console apps could get boring at times. if ur really bored then u might as well venture into some GUI framework.. but do try the easier to use ones. MFC is the worst designed framework i've ever heard of o_O. yea i'm serious. it does reduce ur code but hey.. the stuff gets complicated.

so u might wanna try a better designed framework. Qt is recognised world-wide as one of the best. It is available free for non-commercial use and u can buy it from them for commercial use. It is recognised as one of the best since it pretty OO, RAD, and "hassle free". if u have a good depth in OOP then u might as well try this out. Even for beginners, it's a pretty good choice.

There are other frameworks available as well... like.. FLTK (simple to use), wxWindows (not so simple, but much better than MFC and is pretty much a complete replacement to MFC), and of course the good O'l Tk.

Tk is also another well designed framework, but is designed differently as compared to the rest. It was originally designed for the Tcl programming language. But it was soo freakin good that there was a demand to port the Tk lib to other languages. well i know it has been ported to Perl, Python, Java, C/C++.. probably a lot more.

So it's up to u to make the decission! Tk .. FLTK.. wxWindows... Qt

i would recommend Tk or Qt. They are both great. But designed differently. Then later on u can try the rest. At the end of all this (tryouts), u'll realise which one is the best!
Jonny Tight Lips

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:42 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Thanx for the insight but that sounds a little to difficule for me to handle right now I think I'll learne more before I start get in to stuff like that. Maybe read a cuple of books. Smile
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
¿§¥Jåmës¥§¿

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

rizzix wrote:
hey there!

go ahead. try a gui framework. !

So wut would A frameword do for me? Y would I need one?
rizzix

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well a framework is a set of libraries designed to aid u in solving some problem or the other. usually they also force u to code a perticular style so as to ease maintainance of your code.

now a GUI framework, well, is a framework to solve your problem of writing GUI apps.
   Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 10 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: