Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Quick question about Waterloo and the AIF.
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Reality Check

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:38 pm   Post subject: Quick question about Waterloo and the AIF.

So I know I need a reference from a teacher. I'm applying to the CS program at UW and I was wondering if I could use my Comp. Programming teacher as a reference instead? Not that I'm worried about math its just my CP teacher likes me a lot and I'm #1 in my school in programming in terms of marks and in math its more like top 10% so I'm sure my CP teacher could write better things about me. If not, is there a way I can send in additional info and add her reference?

I just find the AIF is very restricted and doesn't give me much space to do anything at all. The only space I have to write anything is the description of my extra curriculars and thats about it...I find there is no real space to actually show myself.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
LaZ3R

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:50 pm   Post subject: RE:Quick question about Waterloo and the AIF.

It specifically asks for the math teacher who has taught you senior grades of math courses.

Computer Science teacher would not qualify for that unless he/she is also a math teacher, and more specifically, taught YOU.

They want to know what your math teacher/s think about you, how well you are able to apply knowledge to math concepts, etc. I also fall in the top few programmers in my school, and top 10% in math, so there's really nothing you should worry about.

What I would love to know is when does waterloo begin doing early acceptance for the fall season this year? Razz
Reality Check

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:24 pm   Post subject: Re: Quick question about Waterloo and the AIF.

Man this AIF is stressful. If I take into consideration the top 6 my average will probably be like 88-91. However, who knows. When I calculated that I assumed my marks right now would stay the same and I assumed I'd get 95 in both comp engineering and programming. Who knows though! My comp teacher this year for both is different than last year and lets just say...he's not too great. What if get much lower! What if I bomb at like 89 or something. Then it kills my average...I could go as low as 86 or something with limited extra curricular. However, I have few extra curriculars (I'd say about 5). I have put up a site that was dedicated to one of the school clubs I was head for but thats it.

Man I'm so stressed about this. Am I stressing too much?
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:39 pm   Post subject: Re: Quick question about Waterloo and the AIF.

Reality Check @ Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:24 pm wrote:
If I take into consideration the top 6 my average will probably be like 88-91.
Am I stressing too much?

Yes.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
rdrake

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:18 am   Post subject: Re: Quick question about Waterloo and the AIF.

Reality Check @ Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:24 pm wrote:
If I take into consideration the top 6 my average will probably be like 88-91.
Am I stressing too much?
I'm sorry to do this, but I too often read posts from people stressing out about Waterloo. This must be reiterated a second time.

Yes, you are stressing too much.
iluvchairs112

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:30 am   Post subject: RE:Quick question about Waterloo and the AIF.

yeah you shouldn't worry about it. just do the AIF the best you can and submit it. I submitted mine a few weeks ago and I really didn't think about it quite that much
Mazer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:30 pm   Post subject: RE:Quick question about Waterloo and the AIF.

This isn't even in the right section.
Reality Check

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:36 pm   Post subject: Re: Quick question about Waterloo and the AIF.

Hmm...what if my only distinctions and honours are that I made honour roll all 4 years of university? I can't recall getting anything else...
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:16 pm   Post subject: Re: Quick question about Waterloo and the AIF.

Reality Check @ Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:36 pm wrote:
Hmm...what if my only distinctions and honours are that I made honour roll all 4 years of university? I can't recall getting anything else...

No, dude, seriously, if your marks are in that zone, anything in the neighborhood of 88-91 top6 average is more than enough to get in. The only question is if you'll be getting the $1000 or $2000 President's scholarship. You'd need a 10-point drop in average for your actual admission to be in doubt.
jialuolu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:52 am   Post subject: RE:Quick question about Waterloo and the AIF.

Does anyone know if the AIFs are mandatory? I just got admission into Computer Science without filling out an AIF. So, now I don't really plan on doing it unless I have to for some reason.
Clayton

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:53 am   Post subject: RE:Quick question about Waterloo and the AIF.

Do it anyways. I'm fairly certain it's mandatory, but I'm too damn lazy to look it up.
Ultrahex

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:22 pm   Post subject: Re: Quick question about Waterloo and the AIF.

Ummm, I personally did not do that AIF and am currently sitting here at waterloo... it is not so much required as highly recommended!, I would still recommend you doing it even though you got accepted if the deadline has not passed yet.
rdrake

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:31 pm   Post subject: RE:Quick question about Waterloo and the AIF.

I did the AIF and got accepted to Waterloo with an 80%-ish average. Definitely recommend it to anybody applying, it barely takes an hour to do.
iluvchairs112

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:37 pm   Post subject: RE:Quick question about Waterloo and the AIF.

you might be able to get scholarships or something from it ... I'm not exactly sure how they calculate averages or anything but it will probably be helpful
milton.ignites

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:01 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Quick question about Waterloo and the AIF.

jialuolu @ Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:52 am wrote:
Does anyone know if the AIFs are mandatory? I just got admission into Computer Science without filling out an AIF. So, now I don't really plan on doing it unless I have to for some reason.

AIF can get you scholarships and lots of other really cool stuff. fill it in anyways even if u alreayd got in... well atleast now u can do it less stressfully.

HOWEVER!

if you didnt get in yet! FILL IN THOSE STUPID AIFS !!!!! my mark was lower than my friends and because i had a BETTER AIF i got into HONOURS CS coop and he didnt get coop............ so.................................... =)
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 15 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: