Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 the best way?
Index -> Graphics and Design, Web Design -> (X)HTML Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Myst

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:18 am   Post subject: the best way?

what would be the best way to make a text game with xhtml? should i use javascript or some other program language?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:38 am   Post subject: RE:the best way?

You can't make an interactive game with just xhtml, html and xhtml are just document formats realy like a word document.

Javascript could work if you whonted the game to be only one player and be run totaly on the client side and not save anything or it's state. However it could be somewhat complicated.

Your best bet whould probly be using PHP or RoR (ruby on rails) to make a web based game where the code is ran on the server side and it outputs html to the clients browser. Thess will probly also need a database if you whould like to save anything niceely tho they can use files if need be.

If you goal is simpley to make a game that runs in a browser, you could also use java and make a java applet, however that whould not realy be html or use it in any way.

Note: That both RoR and PHP will noramly require a server of some kind to run them on and a webserver of some kind to server the html it generates. RoR comes with webrick witch is both of thess in one and is good for devlopment propses however you will need a real webserver with the langue you pick enabled to host it for every one to play.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Myst

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:13 am   Post subject: RE:the best way?

im srry i didn't word my post correctly; I meant what should i use with the xhtml for a text game.

and thanks for your help ^_^
   Index -> Graphics and Design, Web Design -> (X)HTML Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 3 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: