Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 can i get into waterloo
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
moco

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:11 am   Post subject: can i get into waterloo

i'm now grade 12, and i want to apply to math. My average is 88, but i dont have enough volunteer experience or work experience.
am i able to get in??
im kind of worried now. thanks to anyone who answers. =]
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Clayton

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:53 am   Post subject: RE:can i get into waterloo

First thing, what province are you from? Seeing as each province has slightly different graduation requirements, it's kind of hard to give you an exact answer. For now, I'm going to assume you're from Ontario though.

The most important thing right now is for you to get your volunteer hours. Without them, you won't even get your OSSD, which means you won't get into any university anyways. Also, go check out their site. As far as I know, as long as your 6 best courses come out to an average of ~80, you really shouldn't have to worry. Things like Euclid, CCC etc. really help too. Other than that, there are a plethora of other topics from people who are worried about getting into Waterloo, so try looking there as well.
HeavenAgain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:48 pm   Post subject: RE:can i get into waterloo

waterloo.... SO overrated...
PaulButler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:04 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:can i get into waterloo

HeavenAgain @ Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:48 pm wrote:

Care to elaborate?
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:12 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:can i get into waterloo

PaulButler @ 4th November 2007, 1:04 pm wrote:
HeavenAgain @ Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:48 pm wrote:

Care to elaborate?

Lets not turn this in to yet another u of w vs the world debate and awser the question posted.

Unless you need volitenar exprice or work experice to graduate from high school they will be a minor part of weather you get in to U of W or not. The bigest factors are your overall average, each indvudal corse average, what high school you whent to, if you are an international student or not and how you did on the CCC and/or waterloo math tests. Waterloo will also send you an AIF (aditional information fourm) where you can list things like work epxrice, hobbys, teams you are on and voiliter experice but if you are applying right from high school thess do not count much at all unless you are right on the edge of being apceted or not (witch is rather unlikey, it is ushely prity clear cut).

If you are a mature student and aucatly have realvent work expriced to your feild then it can matter alot but from what you side it sounds like you are coming from high school.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:21 pm   Post subject: RE:can i get into waterloo

AIF is available online. You print it out, fill out the questions, and send it in. Those could add up to 10% to your admissions average, depending on what you've done.

Of course the importance of AIF is dependent on the program. Engineering AIF is much more extensive than that of Math/CS. Also I imagine it carrying much more influence in the programs where students are individually selected for acceptance.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
rdrake

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:41 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:can i get into waterloo

Tony @ Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:21 pm wrote:
AIF is available online. You print it out, fill out the questions, and send it in. Those could add up to 10% to your admissions average, depending on what you've done.
You fill out the first part of the AIF, then give it to a teacher to fill out the rest with an envelope and stamp. The teacher mails it out, you do not.

I'm sure Tony knew that, just elaborating so you don't get confused Wink.
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:17 pm   Post subject: RE:can i get into waterloo

thx rdrake. Indeed the teacher who writes the recommendation letter is the one to mail it. I think the instructions for that might be written on the AIF itself. Technically you're not supposed to know what the teacher writes about you.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 8 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: