Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Which courses should I take in highschool for either CS or CE? Question about which would suit me best...
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
jaymon333

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:27 pm   Post subject: Which courses should I take in highschool for either CS or CE? Question about which would suit me best...

Hello,

I am a grade 10 student living in Ontario near Toronto. I hope to eventually make it too Waterloo in either CS or CE (Computer Engineering)

Aside from the obvious courses such as Computer Engineering and Computer Sciences available at my school, what other courses must/do you recommend I take?

I hear a lot of talk about science courses and math courses, but which strands of these branches do I take. I'm so confused on which high school courses to chose because for one, many different math courses listed at my school are:

- Advanced Functions (University)
- Mathematics of Data Management (University)
- Mathematics for College Technology
- Calculus and Vectors (University)
- Foundation for college math
- Mathematics for work and every day life (these are all grade 12 courses offered at my school)

AS YOU CAN SEE I HAVE NO IDEA WHICH ONES TO CHOSE FOR EITHER CS OR CE.

Also there are all the science courses:

- Biology (University)
- Chemistry (University)
- Chemistry (College)
- Physics (University)
- Physics (college)

And out of these courses I don't know which ones to chose!

Can some one please give me some guidance on which courses in High school I must take, or if their are no mandatory courses, which ones do you recommend? And did I leave any courses out that you recommend?

P.S I can't decide to go into CS or CE, so here are some of my likes with computers:

I want to be good at fixing them when things go wrong, both externally. And internally, for example viruses.
I want to be able to program computers, I believe that means writing in C and that kind of stuff.
I would like to be one of the guys who would work for Microsoft, Mac or Rim as one of the large payscale guys helping to create things like the iPhone, iPod, new computers and operating systems.
I would also like to be able to create software, which I think is done by writing in C, but im not too sure, I am in grade 10 and need some guidance...

I hope some one can tell me from those interests if either Computer science or computer engineering would suit me better.

Thank you very much, all comments and replies are greatly appreciated! Very Happy
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rdrake

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:44 pm   Post subject: Re: Which courses should I take in highschool for either CS or CE? Question about which would suit me best...

jaymon333 @ Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:27 pm wrote:
Aside from the obvious courses such as Computer Engineering and Computer Sciences available at my school, what other courses must/do you recommend I take?

I hear a lot of talk about science courses and math courses, but which strands of these branches do I take. I'm so confused on which high school courses to chose because for one, many different math courses listed at my school are:

- Advanced Functions (University)
- Mathematics of Data Management (University)
- Mathematics for College Technology
- Calculus and Vectors (University)
- Foundation for college math
- Mathematics for work and every day life (these are all grade 12 courses offered at my school)
Take advanced functions, calculus and vectors, and finally data management if it fits into your schedule. The rest I wouldn't bother with.

Also there are all the science courses:

- Biology (University)
- Chemistry (University)
- Chemistry (College)
- Physics (University)
- Physics (college)

And out of these courses I don't know which ones to chose!
Definitely university physics, I'd also recommend university chemistry if you can take it.

Can some one please give me some guidance on which courses in High school I must take, or if their are no mandatory courses, which ones do you recommend? And did I leave any courses out that you recommend?
Definitely take calculus (and pre-calculus or whatever it's called now), physics, some computer courses if you can, and take at least one fun course. Grade 12 would be your last year in high school, make it at least somewhat enjoyable.

I want to be good at fixing them when things go wrong, both externally. And internally, for example viruses.
Maybe going for something like A+ would help you there.
I want to be able to program computers, I believe that means writing in C and that kind of stuff.
There are a plethora of languages to choose from.
I would like to be one of the guys who would work for Microsoft, Mac or Rim as one of the large payscale guys helping to create things like the iPhone, iPod, new computers and operating systems.
Well... Mac isn't a company. Sounds like you're interested in R&D.
I would also like to be able to create software, which I think is done by writing in C, but im not too sure, I am in grade 10 and need some guidance...
I'm learning to program in computer science, I would imagine computer engineers do this as well. Something tells me if you go into CE you'll be working more with hardware (and thus C/ASM) than anything.

I hope some one can tell me from those interests if either Computer science or computer engineering would suit me better.
It sounds like you have a great interest in hardware and programming hardware. If so, computer engineering might be your best bet.
Clayton

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:48 pm   Post subject: RE:Which courses should I take in highschool for either CS or CE? Question about which would suit me best...

First of all, Calculus is a must, no matter what, in most CS programs. Also, in most schools you'll need one of each Biology, Physics and Chemistry 4U (or a combination of the two).

Now, not all software is written in C. Software can be written in any language out there. So, if you're seriously considering CS, I suggest you start learning all kinds of languages Smile

Also, as a side note, Advanced Functions 4U is a prerequisite to Calc and Vectors now, so, if you're not already in Academic math, get in it now. The same is true for the sciences. To get into University, you need at least 4 U level courses (I think, don't hold me to that) and 2 more of either M or U level courses.

Just be sure that you do take all of the prerequisite courses for any prospective universities that you are looking at, as well, don't be afraid to either contact representatives from those universities and ask them some questions. Remember that there's almost no such thing as a stupid question. Also, you can't go wrong with picking up said universities' 07-08 booklet to see what's up now, so you have an idea what to expect two years from now.
iluvchairs112

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:51 am   Post subject: RE:Which courses should I take in highschool for either CS or CE? Question about which would suit me best...

you will for sure need to take Advanced Functions as well as Calculus and Vectors. Data Management isn't really that important so unless you are planning on going into straight math then don't worry about it (from what I know, data management is a course that most people take just because they need a math course, it's a pretty easy course, but in CS and CE they are more specific because it is math-related). Don't take any of the other math courses because they aren't U level so unless you are planning on going to college then there's no point in taking them.
As for science, make sure you take physics, that is the most important when it comes to CS and CE. Chemistry is also fairly important, but it depends on the uni that you want to go to. Sometimes you will need just physics and other times you will need both physics and chem. So make sure you check out the uni you are thinking about.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 4 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: