Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Do People Think?
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Do People Think?
(Voting is closed)
Yes, we have conscious thought (explain how)
86%
 86%  [ 13 ]
No, we are like computers
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Other (explain)
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 15

Nick

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:59 am   Post subject: RE:Do People Think?

also you know that there are colours that aren't visable to the humans eyes?

imagine all the colors that are out there it doesn't neccasarly mean that instaed of my green you see purple, you could see a colour I've never seen in my life instead of green
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
richcash

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:03 pm   Post subject: Re: Do People Think?

Clayton wrote:
That doesn't mean our eyes all see the same color from the same wavelength of light. While I see your point (believe me, I've thought about this many times), I still think that it's hard to just say that any one given wavelength with always look the same to every person (excluding color blindness to eliminate confusion).

Take all the colours (or shades) that you can possibly see. Put them in order so they make a smooth gradient, so that each colour is as similar as possible to the colours beside it. You come up with the same gradient (or rainbow) that is created by gradually changing the wavelength of a light wave. It HAS to be in that order. You can't put what I call violet beside what I call yellow, that's not a smooth gradient. If I saw a different shade than you did when looking at the same wavelength, then why if you change that wavelength slightly we both see a colour that's almost the same?

Unless you mean there are NO colours or shades in common from human's brain to human's brain. Is that what you're saying? Okay, maybe, but what's the point of saying that? Relative to our own colour spectrum, we all still see the same world and none of us could see anything from another person's world. I highly, highly, highly doubt this.

momop wrote:
also you know that there are colours that aren't visable to the humans eyes?

imagine all the colors that are out there it doesn't neccasarly mean that instaed of my green you see purple, you could see a colour I've never seen in my life instead of green

Colours are created by our brain to help us see a vision or image of the world around us. I think you mean there are light waves that are not visible to human's eyes (such as microwaves and x-rays). But I don't see how that's relavent to colour. Unless you mean what I said above about everyone having their own spectrum of colours, but that doesn't really matter. If that is so, then there is no overlap between any colours our brains create anyway.
richcash

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:56 pm   Post subject: Re: Do People Think?

Oh, but I guess it's possible that some people's colour spectrum or colour range could be completely opposite of others'. There would be no way I can think of to disprove that someone sees the exact opposite shade that you see on the colour spectrum. So that would leave two types of humans' visions.
TokenHerbz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:27 pm   Post subject: RE:Do People Think?

hmm, Think about this..

A baby was born, and kept at home and home schooled until the age of 20. He was wrongfully taught colors, our black he was told yellow, our purple he was told orange. Basically he was taught the wrong colors. How hard would it be for him to re-learn the correct ones?

This is just a side note, a thought that just popped into my head now, I remember a small experiment where people worse glasses which inverted their vision, they worse these for over a week straight and eventually the brain re-wired their eyes so they would see correctly. So now when they took off their glasses they had their vision all wacked out.
Clayton

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:30 pm   Post subject: RE:Do People Think?

richcash wrote:
Unless you mean there are NO colours or shades in common from human's brain to human's brain. Is that what you're saying? Okay, maybe, but what's the point of saying that? Relative to our own colour spectrum, we all still see the same world and none of us could see anything from another person's world. I highly, highly, highly doubt this.

Bingo. Why should my spectrum look the same as yours? And why should that be so hard to believe?
richcash

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:07 am   Post subject: Re: Do People Think?

Oh, okay, that's not so hard to believe. I guess we could all have a different set of unique colours. But do you at least agree with me that my purple can't be your yellow, my green can't be your red, etc. because if you mixed up all the colours that would ruin the smooth gradient/spectrum that everyone sees when changing wavelengths? It would have to be a completely different set of colours, right?

@TokenHerbz : I don't think that person would have a hard time learning to say different names for their colours. That's only as hard as learning colours in another language.

@original topic : I think if were 'programmed' we wouldn't be given the ability to wonder whether we have true decision-making or if we are controlled by the logic of our program. Why would the 'programmer' 'program' his 'programs' to question if they were 'programmed'? But it is impossible to prove.
Clayton

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:10 am   Post subject: RE:Do People Think?

I was just using random examples to try and show you what I meant. Basically though, all of my colours would still blend into a smooth gradient, even if they aren't the same looking to you as they are to me.
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 3 of 3  [ 37 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: